Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

liquid sound behind radio area in dash

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2018, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default liquid sound behind radio area in dash

I have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe. When I accelerate or turn right, I have a liquid sloshing sound in my dash behind the radio/ac area. I know my windshield washer fluid is low because it's displayed on my dash. Do you think it could be this or something else? All gauges on dash are where the are supposed to be and the heater is working fine.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 3:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

I would guess heater core with air in it. Any recent cooling system work?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, no recent work on anything.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 4:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe someone over in the Tahoe/Suburban section may have a more specific answer, but there are two reasons for this sound. Red touched on this, and recent work isn't necessarily the cause. It happens when the coolant gets low, for whatever the reason. The other reason for the sound is the condensate tray. This is where the A/C unit drips water that has condensed, and usually drains out underneath the car. That drain may have gotten clogged. And while you're not using the A/C, the compressor does run with the defroster, and the slightest warm weather will cause water to condense. Good luck.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to "burp" your coolant system. Lost of folks put the rad cap back on and figure the coolant in the surge tank will go back into the system to top it up. That is not the case......air trapped is air trapped.
Take off the rad cap, and run the engine till the top rad hose is hot or really warm to the touch, and you have hot air blowing from the vents.
Then top up the rad, and put the cap back on......making sure the overflow tank is at the normal level.....