Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

A little advise for a g20 purchase

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2020, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little advise for a g20 purchase

Greetings from Bulgaria (somewhere in East Europe)!
We don't have many American V8s running around here, but I'm a fan since my road trip from San Francisco to New York. Long story short is: as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted, I want to buy myself a nice G20. Found this one in the Netherlands:
1986 G20 with 4 speed automatic (I assume a 700r), original 305 engine swapped with 1994-1996 Impala 5.7L ( seller not sure for exact year). Also not sure what kind of optispark distributor is there. Tranni was overhauled in 2011, engine I assume was overhauled 2 years ago as the seller made a dyno run. Got an Edelbrock 1406 carb in there, new water pump, starter and manifold.
Unfortunately I'm not very happy with the pictures due to the quality, but tranni and engine looks both dry, only spot rust everywhere. Aircon is not working and no idea if it's due to lack of freon (leaking) or busted compressor. Total mystery. I'll upload some photos and hope for an honest advise.
I'm sure I can strike a bargain at 8k euros (9k dollars). Everything else in Europe less than 10k has unknown mileage on the tranni/engine or with no major overhauls. Is it worth making a reservation, cause this means 1.5 months from now waiting. Thank you in advance!

Do you find this dyno run strange? It has a huge peak and then drops and flattens?

here are the beautiful pictures

Seller says there is no RPM gauge. Does the model have one from the factory?
All in all I'm a capable guy and will work on the exterior and interior by myself. Planning to convert it to a 4 seater with nice 5 person sofa/table, easily transformed into a bed. I'm only afraid of tranni/engine related serious issues.

Last edited by Rumen Strashimirov; May 2nd, 2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: New photos, spelling
Old May 3rd, 2020, 8:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Miami Florida. I believe the tachometer was optional that year on the G20 van. On your picture of the RPO codes you cut off the actual code for the gauges. That might tell if it was installed from the factory, but probably it was not.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 12:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your question only about a tach or do you want to be talked into or out of this, it can go either way. lol

You could add an aftermarket tach pretty easy.

I looked on Craigslist in Bulgaria and there were 2 cars for sale. TOTAL! So I understand you are in a different market. You are basically buying a hotrod.

1. I would be skeptical of everything.
2. It's good that they say the motor is replaced because its such a job on a van.
3. Part of the fun will be finding out what you have and what's been done.
4. Like you, a big concern for me would be engine and transmission. A cracked head could be a big deal in Bulgaria.
5. These are fun to work on if you can source the parts. Many aftermarket vendors.
6. The fuel consumption will be substantial.
7. New water pump. Does that mean it failed and overheated? Or maybe was just leaking.

I love my G20. Sometimes I go and just sit on the sofa in it while sitting in the driveway, just to enjoy the peace and quiet.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default I'm back

Originally Posted by johnt365
Is your question only about a tach or do you want to be talked into or out of this, it can go either way. lol

You could add an aftermarket tach pretty easy.

I looked on Craigslist in Bulgaria and there were 2 cars for sale. TOTAL! So I understand you are in a different market. You are basically buying a hotrod.

1. I would be skeptical of everything.
2. It's good that they say the motor is replaced because its such a job on a van.
3. Part of the fun will be finding out what you have and what's been done.
4. Like you, a big concern for me would be engine and transmission. A cracked head could be a big deal in Bulgaria.
5. These are fun to work on if you can source the parts. Many aftermarket vendors.
6. The fuel consumption will be substantial.
7. New water pump. Does that mean it failed and overheated? Or maybe was just leaking.

I love my G20. Sometimes I go and just sit on the sofa in it while sitting in the driveway, just to enjoy the peace and quiet.
I'm so happy to see this conversation started!
I'm a navy officer and still stuck at sea. To be honest I'm hoping someone to talk me out or into this offer. Price is good and I want second opinion if I should risk couple hundred euros for reservation and then loose them if not like it, cause I expect earliest to start my hunt for a g20/30 in end of June. I'm specially interested in that strange drop in the torque curve, is this indicating any trouble with engine? I do my motorcycle by myself and did a dyno but carburetor tech is bit older than me. All results on google are really flat. Also this rust on the boot in the rear, where the spring is.. unibody with serious rust is a no go, that I know. Does it look bad to you? In my opinion dry engine and tranny is a very good indicator. To your questions, I have no idea. I read water pumps potentially leak after 60k miles and could fck up the optispark and spare pumps start at 65$, I would change it regularly if I were the owner? Am I wrong? I also got the plans for a nice running LPG installation under the floor. Gas price will eat my dinner otherwise. Lots of these run on LPG in EU .

Last edited by Rumen Strashimirov; May 3rd, 2020 at 1:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 3rd, 2020, 2:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would 100% have to drive it and check it out before buying it so a couple 100 euro is acceptable.

Drive it enough to get it warmed up. Then turn it off and squeeze top radiator hose. It should be hard as a rock. If you can squeeze it means the system did not pressurize. Check the oil for color and smell and same with transmission fluid. Make sure all 4 gears work.

I have no experience with converting a car to LPG. That will be a project all of its own so make sure its worth it. That current set up is a known combination of Edelbrock carb and intake with an HEI distributor. Low maintenance.

To me, working on a van engine is just a little bit harder because of the way everything is hidden under the dog house cover.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by johnt365
I would 100% have to drive it and check it out before buying it so a couple 100 euro is acceptable.

Drive it enough to get it warmed up. Then turn it off and squeeze top radiator hose. It should be hard as a rock. If you can squeeze it means the system did not pressurize. Check the oil for color and smell and same with transmission fluid. Make sure all 4 gears work.

I have no experience with converting a car to LPG. That will be a project all of its own so make sure its worth it. That current set up is a known combination of Edelbrock carb and intake with an HEI distributor. Low maintenance.

To me, working on a van engine is just a little bit harder because of the way everything is hidden under the dog house cover.
Thanks again for the quick reply. I'm waiting for more pictures, a video and explanation about new manifold and water pump. Think I'm gonna go for it. You guys get a 50yo cars from the scrapyard, totally rusty and its possible to restore to shining new condition. Bit more practice on wielding and should be no problem. BIG thanks on the advice! Will keep the topic updated. Tach info also well received. Stay safe there!