Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

my express 1500 vibrating

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2022, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my express 1500 vibrating

Hi to everyone, I am new to this forum, I have an 04 express 1500 van that I just had a steering inner tie rod bend, I put in new inner and outer tie rods on both sides along with the stabilizers now I finished everything and it all looks good but when I went to move the van I noticed a strange vibration in the steering, so right back in the drive I went. I jacked it up and noticed I did not have any power steering fluid or very little in the res, so I filled it. then when I went to turn the wheels there is a really bad vibration in the steering, so I shut it off and started the bleeding process what a process it is. and still, when I start it and turn the wheel it has a really bad vibration in it, so bad I shut it off to stop it, I am not sure if the rack and pinion went to heck or if that hydro-boost is causing the vibration or the power steering unit, if anyone has any good advice, I would greatly appreciate it. ty.
Old October 18th, 2022, 11:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

How did you bend the tie rod?
Old October 19th, 2022, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

well that is a story, lol, it started with a stuck wheel bearing hub, and I tried everything to get it off nothing worked so i took to youtube for tips on how to remove a rusted bearing on this van, one of the tips was to use a socket against the spring and the steering pressure to push it off, I over did it, and not knowing put a bend in the inner tie rod. after fixing everything I had the problem, of the super bad vibration, I know the seal on the rack and pinion shaft is leaking a little but what I guess I am asking is whether or not it could cause such a bad vibration when the van is jacked up, or if the hydro-boost can cause this type of vibration. this was my fault I should have known better but that bearing was so stuck on, I was willing to try anything, and I pulled way too hard on the steering I guess. ty for responding,

Last edited by Mics55; October 19th, 2022 at 9:22 AM.
Old October 20th, 2022, 3:22 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Perhaps other things are bent or damaged.
Old October 20th, 2022, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

no nothing else is bent. My question is to everyone or anyone, could a hydro brake and steering booster cause such as a possible air lock cause this, ??????? or could a power steering pump air lock do it,????? or a rack and pinion air lock cause this. ??????? if no one has any insight on this problem, ty all for your time. I will figure it out myself and post the results to maybe help someone else with a simular problem.