Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Need help world worst belt squea

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2020, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

when you are at the dealer... dealers have cheap a/c delco line too...don't get a cheap line belt...ask for the oem belt..provide the vin
The following users liked this post:
ExpressvanMan2000 (May 3rd, 2020)
Old May 7th, 2020, 1:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sheesh

Well I ordered the belt today, $80 bucks SHEESH! Now I see why someone attached the adjective "cheap" to the belts sold at auto parts stores. I mean wow I was expecting to pay $35 $40 for the belt not $80 dollars.

I go to pick up the belt tommorow morning , thought about ordering an idler pulley also but was a little fearful of what he might say the price for one is. If the belt was $80 i can the ilder going for $200 easy.
Old May 7th, 2020, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

If the screaming finally stops I would call $80 a sweet deal for you!
Old May 8th, 2020, 8:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ExpressvanMan2000
Well I ordered the belt today, $80 bucks SHEESH! Now I see why someone attached the adjective "cheap" to the belts sold at auto parts stores. I mean wow I was expecting to pay $35 $40 for the belt not $80 dollars.

I go to pick up the belt tommorow morning , thought about ordering an idler pulley also but was a little fearful of what he might say the price for one is. If the belt was $80 i can the ilder going for $200 easy.
if its a metal idler, buy a bearing for $5 and hammer a new bearing into the pulley.
what is the bigger rip off....a **** part for $40 that you have to go back and change or a good one for $80 and it good the first time. I have been down this road...I only buy oem belts.

Last edited by tech2; May 8th, 2020 at 8:51 AM.
Old May 8th, 2020, 10:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
if its a metal idler, buy a bearing for $5 and hammer a new bearing into the pulley.
what is the bigger rip off....a **** part for $40 that you have to go back and change or a good one for $80 and it good the first time. I have been down this road...I only buy oem belts.
Well I learned my lesson about belts, been buying cheap ones since I had my first truck a 1997 gmc sonoma....but I guess you can get away with cheaps belts on a small engine such as the v6vortec. but never again will buy a belt that isnt oem! I got the belt for the Xpress about an 1h and half hours ago , put it on and didnt hear the squealing anymore but I have been bamboozled before so I took the van for a test drive and it was quiet as a church mouse!
I cant thank you all enough for the help, this was driving me crazy (haha), so crazy I was going to sell the van, but I think Ill keep it now.
Old May 8th, 2020, 2:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Curious, did you compare size of the OEM belt side by side to the one you were running?
Old May 8th, 2020, 5:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Curious, did you compare size of the OEM belt side by side to the one you were running?
Yes and no.

I didnt really do a thorough visual comparison of the belts just eyeballed them to make sure the general length was the same.

I did notice the oem belt was quite a bit harder to wrap onto the pulleys,hars to explain but I had to kind of use both hands to work the belt onto the crankshaft as I held the ratchet down.
Old May 9th, 2020, 6:05 PM
Super Moderator

oem parts are built better 90% of the time. fit better, install faster.

That said...my wife bought a old bmw. dealer parts are insane even with a trade discount. If the job is 3hours or less to install...i go aftermarket. Hate fixing it...Love driving it.
Old July 1st, 2020, 1:56 PM
CF Junior Member

So after about a couple months of quietness the squeal came back, again on a humid day, but its now more prevalent when i turn the a/c on. It rained really hard yesterday abd while i was driving in the rain is when the belt really started to squeal. What do I do now im lost. Its nowhere near as bad as before as it will actually go away when the van get a bit down the road. I have it idling with the a/c on and it is quiet
..once i oress the gas it starts to squeal until i let off.
Old July 1st, 2020, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

maybe worn pulley

Quick Reply: Need help world worst belt squea