Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New Auxiliary Battery Box

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2018, 12:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Auxiliary Battery Box

That's one more thing off my list. The factory auxiliary battery mount, mounting bolts, clips and rubber battery holder. I'd be stoked if it wasn't raining and I still had a spare battery on hand. I didn't buy it here, but here's a link if you need one: https://www.tubmangmpartsdepot.ca/p/.../20970916.html
Old November 29th, 2018, 8:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need one for my 1995 G20. But I want a group 27 battery.
Old January 13th, 2019, 3:52 PM
CF Pro Member

I still have not installed this. As simple of an install as it is. The weather is dry enough, bright enough today, it's just still too cold. I am a wuss. I don't want to be outside longer than five minutes. Anyways, I crawled underneath. There seems to be two locations to mount the factory auxiliary battery on the left hand side, or better yet, the option to have two auxiliary batteries. Looks like I will be ordering a second battery tray. Of course now, I am wondering if I really even need them. Lately I have just been in withdrawal mode from all projects. I think I should install them and get an inverter for work purposes. I do not think I need them for the sound system as I am running two amps right now without problems. Of course, with the amount of electronics I like to use, having lots of standby power would handy. Especially if I end up going through what I did all over again.

In regards to the factory mounts, I am disappointed that the batteries sit so low. It is out of obvious necessity for clearance, but it's put the batteries among the low point of the undercarriage. Thus prone to damage in excessive off-road situations. It shouldn't be a problem for me, but it only takes one time for it to be an issue.

There is no factory holes for a right hand side mounting point.
Old January 14th, 2019, 3:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

The batteries don't sit lower than the frame itself
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...97/#post362014

I think the crossmembers, fuel tank, axle etc. all sit lower.
Old January 14th, 2019, 4:45 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Re: for a '95 van -

I've seen a very few of the 95 and older with a second battery. IIRC a more rectangular battery (wider side-to-side and not as deep), it went on a tray in front of the heater box on the right side. I would guess a diesel has one standard, the diesel Suburban I had was factory dual battery. That might not be too too hard to find as they made a lot of G30 minibus conversions with the 6.5, and they carried over through 1996.

Alternately, I've seen conversions that had a built in ice cooler set in the floor behind the driver's seat. I would think it not hard to just drop a box through the floor that could be used as a battery compartment, while protecting it better than just bolting one to a tray. Of course on your 96-up it would have to go on the right side.
Old January 14th, 2019, 2:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
Of course on your 96-up it would have to go on the right side.
The side cargo door stepwell prevents a battery from being mounted to the frame on the passenger side.
Old January 14th, 2019, 3:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Gas tank's kind of in the way on the left, unless you mount outside the frame rail. Exhaust could be an issue on the left side.
Old January 14th, 2019, 10:07 PM
CF Pro Member

lol - opinions, opinions.

My truck is unique remember? It is identical on each side. The only difference on the outside of the frame rails is the factory holes. Joe seemed to think I can drill if I want, but I do recall that there is some kind of problem with that. I might be wrong, but drilling into the frame is not wise from an engineering/legal standpoint. Maybe I am wrong, as our shops did it all the time on Semi Trucks, but I just recall from somewhere that is was a no-no. Maybe there was just a method to it. Do put holes near other holes - kind of thing.
Old January 15th, 2019, 3:02 AM
Super Moderator

Read the upfitter manual. The body one, not the electrical. It provides guidelines on drilling new holes.
If you fill the hole with a bolt, then it's no longer a hole right?

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
Gas tank's kind of in the way on the left, unless you mount outside the frame rail. Exhaust could be an issue on the left side.
The factory mounting location is on the outside of the frame, like in the photo I linked in my post above.
Not 100% sure, but I think anywhere inside the frame is pretty much no-go. Not to mention difficult to access.
My exhaust is on the passenger side.
Old January 15th, 2019, 9:45 AM
CF Pro Member

Yeah, I guess that is all I would need to do... is read the upfitter manual. Thanks for the steerage.

By the way, I would assume a hole with a bolt in it is still a hole. I believe the problem is potential stress cracks. A line of holes spaced 1/2" apart filled with bolts will still snap the frame in two under stress, right? Anyways, yeah you are right, you must be able to make holes as long as you understand what you are doing. I do not understand, that's the problem.

Our family shops used to lengthen and shorten semi-truck frames, not to mention bolt accessories every day. If you can do it at those weights, you can obviously do it with our toy-class frames. I am just always hesitant with anything structural. Houses too. That's the only bit of work I will not contract out my services for. Structural. It's outside my scope. I am sure I can handle it, but without knowing the standard practices and not to mention the legalities, no thanks.