Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New door lock actuator or new door?

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2021, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New door lock actuator or new door?

I just bought at '95 Chevy Sport Van G20 with a high top. I'm excited to get to work learning all that I need to transform the van into a home on wheels. Of course, those easy fixes aren't so easy and I've encountered my first hiccup. Before sharing what that it is, I hope to find some folx with the same or similar van to talk shop with along the way here.

Okay so I bought the van knowing the sliding side door didn't lock; the key turns, but nothing happens. The first diagnosis from an auto locksmith is that the handle was faulty and the actuator, including some electrical functions are broken. Okay - got a new smooth handle from the pick and pull and now I've researched what to do about this actuator. Is it worth the trouble to further diagnose and fix the following issue, or look for a new door all together?

At least I know what an actuator is now and it has some electrical components that I don't understand yet. I found an actuator online for like $20- sold out but I know where to get. So to be done, I'll figure out which fuse corresponds to the sliding door to check if it's still good. If the fuse is good, next, test the voltage. This is the question to solve: test the voltage at the door lock actuator-- “If there is a voltage, but the actuator doesn't work, the door look actuator may need to be replaced. If there is no voltage present when the power lock switch is operated, the problem must be further traced using the electrical diagram.”

Can anyone share some knowledge about the electrical workings of this issue? I am not psyched to potentially track down an electrical issue - however, I will be working with electrical at some point to lace this rig up with solar and all that. I need the door to shut and lock. That's it.

Thanks!
Cristina

Old January 4th, 2021, 4:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The actuator is probably bad, I have replaced many of them over the years. I usually buy mine on ebay. I have a bad one in my truck right now, just need the time to take it apart and replace it.
Old January 5th, 2021, 12:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

all of those parts can be changed for a lot less hassle than a paint to match on another door.

My understanding on the G-vans is all of the lock parts are mechanical save the power solenoid, but all of mine have been swing doors. The power lock is just an add-on to the existing latch.

I would turn the key while observing what happens inside, vs. using the inside lock handle to lock the door.