Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New owner of G20 89, several beginner questions

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2023, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of G20 89, several beginner questions

Hi!

Newly proud owner of a G20 89, 350/700. It runs ok even though it seems to have seen years of neglect.. My plan is to restore this as best as time, equipment and money allows.

A
Noticed that some previous owner have put to much oil in gearbox. How critical is this? ie stop immediately or safe to drive at least to workshop?

B
Trying to find out which model this is.in regards to emission control modules. The van is apperently canadian built conversion (non hightop) as there is a sticker in the door, but i cant find any "vehicle emmision control information" under the front hood.. The service manual i have currently (haynes) mentions two models of that year (89).. federal and california. Should this be the same, or differ in some ways?

C. I got a check engine light, jumped A and B and got that its something with EGR. Havent checked it yes, but i guess a lot of ppl dissable this? Is this safe to dissable? Also would it be best to keep the vehicla as stock as possible in regard to emmision control modules, or can some safely be omitted? Atleast where i live (sweden) the yearly checkup is more relaxed when it comes to emissions when its an older car..

D. Vacuum lines. From searching i did find a picture where vacuum lines where colour coded? Was this originally in the vehicles? Also are vacuum lines that uses the balloon shaped accumulator in the front only for use of the cruise control and nothing else, and not connected to anything else?

E. If I plan to make this as good as possible is there newer electronics systems available. ie more modern based, or just keep the old as stock and fresh as possible? Also i guess its not a good idea to mix original electronics system with any auxiliary things added to the vehicle?

/BR
Old October 28th, 2023, 9:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 92 Posts

A) I'd just change it.
C) Check and see if the wiring to the EGR solenoid is in good condition and plugged in. I'd keep the EGR working because it will give you better fuel economy.
D) Find a diagram and replace them all. How do your HVAC controls work? That's often the first sign of a leak.
E) Holley makes kits that will replace everything.

Originally Posted by Alexhl
Hi!

Newly proud owner of a G20 89, 350/700. It runs ok even though it seems to have seen years of neglect.. My plan is to restore this as best as time, equipment and money allows.

A
Noticed that some previous owner have put to much oil in gearbox. How critical is this? ie stop immediately or safe to drive at least to workshop?

B
Trying to find out which model this is.in regards to emission control modules. The van is apperently canadian built conversion (non hightop) as there is a sticker in the door, but i cant find any "vehicle emmision control information" under the front hood.. The service manual i have currently (haynes) mentions two models of that year (89).. federal and california. Should this be the same, or differ in some ways?

C. I got a check engine light, jumped A and B and got that its something with EGR. Havent checked it yes, but i guess a lot of ppl dissable this? Is this safe to dissable? Also would it be best to keep the vehicla as stock as possible in regard to emmision control modules, or can some safely be omitted? Atleast where i live (sweden) the yearly checkup is more relaxed when it comes to emissions when its an older car..

D. Vacuum lines. From searching i did find a picture where vacuum lines where colour coded? Was this originally in the vehicles? Also are vacuum lines that uses the balloon shaped accumulator in the front only for use of the cruise control and nothing else, and not connected to anything else?

E. If I plan to make this as good as possible is there newer electronics systems available. ie more modern based, or just keep the old as stock and fresh as possible? Also i guess its not a good idea to mix original electronics system with any auxiliary things added to the vehicle?

/BR
Old October 30th, 2023, 3:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info