Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

No DRL & fuel pump not working?

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2023, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes I agree that’s why I apologized for not being more detailed in the beginning. But back to my van, the fuse box underneath the hood where the starter relay & fuel pump relay are located can I pull the starter relay & use it as fuel pump relay to see if pump will come on even though it only has 4 prongs where my fuel pump relay has 5?
And yes I’ve checked all fuses inside and under hood & all are good. And any advice on how to eliminate or find out if it’s my ignition?
Old June 25th, 2023, 2:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

So it worked before you did the battery & wires, now it doesn't. I think you should start by carefully rechecking everything you did - only makes sense that's where the problem likely is hiding. Especially battery post connections
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (June 25th, 2023)
Old June 25th, 2023, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

ok when I tested for continuity on my starter relay and it reads 80, that’s positive lead to #86 & negative to #85. I get the same reading for fuel pump relay testing the same prongs #86&#87
Old June 25th, 2023, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

rechecked everything I did between starter and battery all connections are good. But still doesn’t explain why my fuel pump and DRL won’t come on now. I even turned my key to on position and tried to jump stater with a piece of wire & it just sparked but didn’t engage my solenoid forward
Old June 25th, 2023, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

also when I have key turned on my blinkers don’t work but my hazards do if that helps anymore with the troubleshooting
Old June 25th, 2023, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

and before all this started my “service engine soon” light was always on, now no light and no security light has come either???
Old June 26th, 2023, 4:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JOverton
and before all this started my “service engine soon” light was always on, now no light and no security light has come either???
My money is on that you made the wrong connection on the starter terminals when you replaced the positive lead. It can be hard to see the connections, but disconnect the negative on the battery, and double check your connections on the starter.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (June 26th, 2023)
Old June 26th, 2023, 6:59 AM
CF Beginner

Come on, I’ve already checked all my connections and there’s only 2 wires on the starter that come off/on and they’re the difference between a quarter and dime in diameter
Old June 26th, 2023, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JOverton
Come on, I’ve already checked all my connections and there’s only 2 wires on the starter that come off/on and they’re the difference between a quarter and dime in diameter

Start with the simple things first.

Next, have your new battery draw tested at an auto parts store. Sometimes batteries sit for months in inventory and are bad when you get them home.

The fact that a high draw from your starter caused you to replace the battery, indicates your starter may have issues too. Pull it off and bring it with your battery for the store to test. Keep in mind, store testing does not place the load of an engine on the starter. Commuter brushes could be worn down/stuck.
Old June 26th, 2023, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

I agree with all that and will have it done but that still wouldn’t solve why my DRL, blinkers, fuel pump not coming on. Was wondering if it could be my ignition or my computer. Read something about a “relearn”, is that something that cud be wrong and would it hurt to do that procedure. If so cud anyone explain how to do that

Quick Reply: No DRL & fuel pump not working?