Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

No Start, Clunk and Stutter When Cranked

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2019, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start, Clunk and Stutter When Cranked

Hello, I've got a 2000 Express with a gasoline V8 which has sat for 3 weeks, and it is showing alarming symptoms when I try to start it.

When I crank it, it chugs a few times and then begins to make something like a "clank" or "clunk" noise. At the same time as the clunk, the motor stutters and the dash lights dim. The noise is evidently coming from the engine, and it visibly lurches in the engine bay.

Here is a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ezl...w912fZ_0J/view

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thanks for the time.
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I would try turning the engine over by hand, using a breaker bar on the crankshaft, and see if you can feel anything. You could also try taking out the spark plugs and peeking into the cylinders if you can see anything. You could also watch the starter motor as you crank and see if there's anything weird happening there.
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

What should I be looking/feeling for?

Are you thinking of hydrostatic lock or water in the cylinders as a possibility?
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I don't know. That's why I would be looking for clues.
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:52 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

whatever it is i would stop trying to start it till you take the plugs out and stop holding the starting on for so long.
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like a bad starter solenoid. Engaging and then not then clunking back in as you continually crank it. The clunk coincides with the pulleys moving and then not.

The fact that it does not fire could be many things.
I had a 2002 and when the spark plugs were very old the increased gap caused a weak spark and very hard cold starting. Also the points under the dizzy cap get corroded and impede spark.

Try cleaning the cap and rotor, and check your plug gaps.....Close them up a bit if needed, then try again.

I also had an issue with my ignition key, and yours may be not making clean contact when trying to crank....
Old March 9th, 2019, 2:46 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds expensive
Old March 9th, 2019, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
It sounds like a bad starter solenoid. Engaging and then not then clunking back in as you continually crank it. The clunk coincides with the pulleys moving and then not.

The fact that it does not fire could be many things.
I had a 2002 and when the spark plugs were very old the increased gap caused a weak spark and very hard cold starting. Also the points under the dizzy cap get corroded and impede spark.

Try cleaning the cap and rotor, and check your plug gaps.....Close them up a bit if needed, then try again.

I also had an issue with my ignition key, and yours may be not making clean contact when trying to crank....
Thanks everyone for the advice. Ignition was the issue - I pulled the distributor and found corroded contacts, and the spark plugs measured wide. I replaced cap, rotor, plugs, and fuel filter, it started easily and runs well now. I'm relieved it was a simple fix.