Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The O M Donald.

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2019, 12:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome, will be looking for that box. (Maybe the antique mall will be interested) Considering the damage to the rack from a previous owner, wasn't planning on roof mount. Sacrificing a bit of distance to keep the antenna safe with a mirror/body mount was the idea. Didn't think of/hadn't seen anything regarding the fibreglass roof though, thank you. Didn't think a magnet would hold very well up there anyways.The ground plane (if it's where I found the two leads) are screwed into the "original" roof underside. Donald didn't take the whole roof off before capping, just cut a hole starting/ending about 3' from front/back ends.

Last edited by Beau Oszman; June 4th, 2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old June 4th, 2019, 9:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Without the control head (handset/cradle) the box is worthless. But it probably was uninstalled with the control head.

A mirror mounted antenna would be your best bet. They are typically a 1/2 wave design, and use the ground as a ground plane.
Old June 5th, 2019, 2:01 AM
CF Active Member

Agreed and thank you again. Just worried the mirror mount won't "fit" the stock mirror quite right. Would the ladder on the back maybe work just as well? Otherwise was thinking maybe the gutter along the side.

Last edited by Beau Oszman; June 5th, 2019 at 2:42 AM.
Old June 5th, 2019, 9:40 PM
CF Veteran

A 1/2 wave made to fit an 18 wheeler mirror would fit just fine on a ladder back there.
Old June 6th, 2019, 1:36 AM
CF Active Member

Planned package with a Sharp model 500 UB left in my care by the Oscar the grouch at work. Said he never tuned it and for him it only worked near water. I was surprised it didn't blow out on him.

Old June 6th, 2019, 8:34 AM
CF Veteran

That's an old one. I haven't been in to CBs for quite a long time, but I Googled it. Having an SWR meter is handy, but tuning an antenna of that style may be difficult, so I hope it is good from the start.
Old June 6th, 2019, 11:44 AM
CF Active Member

Firestick might be better just in case additional tuning is needed in future?
Old June 6th, 2019, 4:43 PM
CF Veteran

Only with models that have a tunable tip. Trimming one without that is difficult. They have a tech page to help.
Old June 6th, 2019, 5:05 PM
CF Active Member

I see without the tip requires cutting the wire so it's kind of like woodshop all over again. Measure twice, cut once, and check fit. Repeat until satisfied. Go too far and have to start over. Thank you again, think I'll go with tunable firestick.
Old June 6th, 2019, 9:40 PM
CF Veteran

From the Firestick Tech page;

"

ADJUSTING LONG ANTENNAS

If the SWR on channel 40 is greater than that on channel 1, your antenna is considered to be "LONG" and reduction of physical height and/or conductor length will correct this situation. Depending upon antenna model, this entails screwing down the tunable tip (Illustration #1: Firestik II, Firefly), or, removing the tip, making short slits in the plastic covering and unwinding and clipping off wire (Illustration #2: Firestik, Road Pal). Firestik Designer Series antennas require loosening the allen screws and lowering the metal whip (Illustration #3).

ADJUSTING SHORT ANTENNAS

If SWR on channel 1 is greater than that on channel 40, your antenna is considered to be "SHORT" and increasing the physical and/or electrical length of the antenna is required to correct this situation. Because we make our antennas extra long, readings which indicate "Short" normally stem from ground plane deficiency (lack of vehicle metal surface for the antenna to reflect its signal rom). This condition is often corrected by adding a spring and/or quick disconnect to increase the physical height. Ground plane deficiencies can also be compensated for by using dual (co-phased) antennas or special no-ground-plane antenna kits.

Lengthening of the Firestik II and Firefly is accomplished by turning the tuning screw further out (Illustration #1). On Firestik and Road Pal models, it requires tip removal, short slits in the plastic covering and, the separation and upward repositioning of three or more wire turns (Illustration #4). Firestik Designer Series antennas require loosening the allen screws and raising the metal whip (Illustration #3).

NOTE: The shorter the antenna, the more sensitive it is to adjustments. For example, removing two wire turns on a 4 foot antenna might move the SWR by 0.3; the same amount removed from a 2 foot antenna may move the SWR by 1.0. Make smaller adjustments on shorter antennas."