Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

oil

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2017, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil

hi everyone, i am new to this site. i own a express 1500 , i just bought this van , and i love it already, but i noticed when i checked the oil the other day, that it had a excess of oil on the stick, and now the oil indicator is coming on , but goes off right away, i think i am retaining oil in the upper , if so is this a easy fix , or does anyone have any suggestions on a additive that might help clean out the ports , so it drains back down properly . ty
Old November 8th, 2017, 7:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Valve medic thins your oil a bit to help it get through the journals. You could try that, then change to high mileage oil like valvoline max life.
Another trick is the tranny fluid trick. Google that one. Its quite the engine flush apparently.
Old November 9th, 2017, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Valve medic thins your oil a bit to help it get through the journals. You could try that, then change to high mileage oil like valvoline max life.
Another trick is the tranny fluid trick. Google that one. Its quite the engine flush apparently.
ty much , i will try both , i was wondering ,how hard it is to get at the motor its self or would i have to pull the motor, if so how hard is it. i have never pulled a motor in a van, ty for all the info.
Old November 9th, 2017, 7:38 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by mic59
ty much , i will try both , i was wondering ,how hard it is to get at the motor its self or would i have to pull the motor, if so how hard is it. i have never pulled a motor in a van, ty for all the info.
You dont want to pull a motor in a van unless you have to, trust me. I'd go with a quart of ATF or an engine cleaner additive before that. As long as the engine is running properly, you may just need to do an oil change with a full-synthetic 75,000 mile oil and a good oil filter. Synthetics tend to clean out gunk naturally too. So you run it for 3000-4000 miles and dump it all out. If its OK then you are G-T-G. I run synthetics out to 8000 or 10,000miles, but that's with a clean motor.
Old November 9th, 2017, 6:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me lean in and just give my 2 cents...
ATF... tranny fluid works.. as a Past Military Mechanic they
actually have it in the books for cleaning out unwanted gunk in the engine.
I have done it not only in the military but with my own LT1 engine in my GMC
truck that is my daily driver with now just over 200,000 miles.
take my valve cover off take my oil pan off and my motor is CLEAN .....