Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Overwhelmed with break and rotor options...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2018, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overwhelmed with break and rotor options...HELP!

I need new brakes and rotors all around. 2008 Chevrolet Express 1500 2wd LS. Running Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT245/75/16 tires on stock wheels. Vehicle is used roughly 10-12 miles 5 days a week of city driving, no highway driving.

Upcoming Florida trip(reason i need the brakes/rotors asap) from NJ in 2 weeks. Budget, well dont really have one i think but also dont want to spend 1k for brakes/rotors. I was currently looking at the power stops z23 evolution front and rear kits but the reviews dont help, half say they are good half say they are bad.

Mechanic quoted me $700 for everything but when i asked him what brand he will be using he said depends what they have in stock...hahaha, at least he was honest. I will be doing the job myself and yes i have searched all over and im still in the same place I began, overwhelmed and lost. First time dealing with these types of vehicles.

What are you currently using, what do you recommend? Any help will be greatly appreciated

thank you.

Last edited by robert0rtega; July 23rd, 2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old July 24th, 2018, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Oem parts are the best but are expensive. A/c delco advantage is the cheap line for gm but I was not pleased with them....drums out of round 10 thou right out of the box. I tried napa cheap line. the rotors had runout within 20 000kilometers. Parts guy got me some magneti marelli (a mopar supplier) for my ford and Pontiac. the price was right and so far they have performed well.

I prefer organic linings for my cars and light duty trucks...nice pedal feel and no squeaks. the hd truck gets semi-metallic cause its gotta perform with no fading.

Last edited by tech2; July 24th, 2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old July 24th, 2018, 7:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by robert0rtega
I need new brakes and rotors all around. 2008 Chevrolet Express 1500 2wd LS. Running Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT245/75/16 tires on stock wheels. Vehicle is used roughly 10-12 miles 5 days a week of city driving, no highway driving.

Upcoming Florida trip(reason i need the brakes/rotors asap) from NJ in 2 weeks. Budget, well dont really have one i think but also dont want to spend 1k for brakes/rotors. I was currently looking at the power stops z23 evolution front and rear kits but the reviews dont help, half say they are good half say they are bad.

Mechanic quoted me $700 for everything but when i asked him what brand he will be using he said depends what they have in stock...hahaha, at least he was honest. I will be doing the job myself and yes i have searched all over and im still in the same place I began, overwhelmed and lost. First time dealing with these types of vehicles.

What are you currently using, what do you recommend? Any help will be greatly appreciated

thank you.
I prefer ceramic pads myself, since I am at freeway speeds 70 percent of the time, but these are genuine GM parts:

Front brake pad set: $107.46
Rear brake pad set: $81.54
Front disk rotor: $ 56.50
Rear disk rotor: $ $79.38
Old July 24th, 2018, 7:46 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I like genuine GM also, but am not opposed to RockAuto.com parts. They offer brake parts in several price points, Economy, Daily Driver, Premium, and Heavy Duty, check them out.
Old July 24th, 2018, 7:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I also like the choices at RockAuto. I haven't needed to do the brakes in my Express yet, but have used Delco discs on other vehicles.
Old July 26th, 2018, 12:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Twscarp
Hi, I like genuine GM also, but am not opposed to RockAuto.com parts. They offer brake parts in several price points, Economy, Daily Driver, Premium, and Heavy Duty, check them out.
Rock Auto is a solid auto parts source, for sure. Shopping around before you need to do a repair or replacement, is a wise choice.