Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Play in rebuilt steering box for a 95

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2020, 6:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Play in rebuilt steering box for a 95

Hi all,

I've had this 95 van about a year, its got 130k on it. The steering was loose so I replaced the tie rods, idler arm and pitman arm. It's not terrifying to drive now, but still too much play for me.

Bought a replacement rebuilt box but it has play in it also. Here is a video that shows the play.

Anybody have tips on getting a good tight box? Is there a rebuilder that is more consistent then others?

Thanks,
John

Last edited by johnt365; January 4th, 2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old January 7th, 2020, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I've done many but, for you, it's not as difficult as you might think...read it all or jump to pages 35 and onward. If you decide tackling this yourself, begin by loosening the Pitman shaft adjuster prior to adjusting the the upper thrust bearing.
https://www.midweststeering.com/wp-c...00-PS-Comp.pdf
Old January 7th, 2020, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, one notation I should make...
If after you re-adjust the box entirely, and find there remains too much play, it's probably due to wear in the location of the worm shaft, ball bearings and internal rack piston. Look at the pictorial exploded views.
BUT, to be honest, there's always going to be some degree of play.
Old January 19th, 2020, 5:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks Jay. The manufacturer tested a unit prior to shipping and sent me a replacement box.

RESULTS: Frustration. When driving I can move the steering about 2 inches before the van noticeably moves.

1. I mounted a dial gauge on the frame and put the tip on the pitman arm and wiggled the wheel that two inches and verified it moves a few thousandths each way.
2. Locked the steering wheel and strapped it in place and went down and tried to move the intermediate shaft. Nothing.
3. Replaced pitman arm, idler arm, and all 4 tie rods.
4. Alignment is fresh and in spec.
5. Lock to lock is 3.5 turns.
6. Ball joints and spring are the only thing left.

Questions:

1. Are my expectations too high for this 25 yo. van?
2. Is 3.5 turns lock to lock the issue? A quicker radius would move the pitman arm faster... Maybe this is so you wont over correct and flip the van? idk.

Thanks,
John

Old January 20th, 2020, 1:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

it could be the joints in the steering wheel shaft itself.
Old February 5th, 2020, 8:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

The "play" shown in your video just looks like the torsion bar twisting for the power assist. They will all do that. You could swap in a heavier torsion bar but that would give you heavier steering from less assist.

ETA
Maybe your power steering pump isn't making enough pressure at low RPM to provide the boost needed to move the pitman? You could try shifting down a gear or revving the engine in N and see if that helps.

Last edited by Triaged; February 5th, 2020 at 8:51 AM.
Old February 15th, 2020, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
it could be the joints in the steering wheel shaft itself.
Thanks for the replies.

Three parts store steering boxes later i decided call Redhead Steering. I am confident there is no play in the steering box now.

I took it to get aligned and they said it had play in the column. I'm not convinced. I isolated the steering wheel with straps and grabbed the shaft while the steering box was out and could not feel any movement

came across this thread in another forum https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbt.../623562/1.html Guy had loose steering in a 95 also. First reply is pretty interesting.

"There could be a whole bunch of reasons for loose steering. The first question is, how long have you owned a van? They drive different than a car. The loose feeling could be that it's a truck and not a sports car. I've been driving vans for 40 years, so when I get in a car, it feels tight to me.".
Think Im just going to drive it now.