Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Power Window Thermal Switch?

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2019, 2:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Power Window Thermal Switch?

I have had this problem on both my '96 and '02 Express 1500 vans:

The drivers side power window stops working (temporarily) immediately after it fully opens as a result of using the "auto open" function on the power window switch. After about 30 seconds, or so, after it has auto opened, it starts working again. This can be very frustrating if it is raining, for example, and you auto open the window to go thru a toll both, or equivalent, and then can't close the window as you drive off into the rain!

I suspect there must be a thermal override/safety cutoff in the power window motor that is triggered when the window hits the fully open stops while the motor is delivering full power to open. The widow motor appears to be a sealed unit so the shut-off mechanism(s) are not external to the motor (and therefore easy to access and/or troubleshoot & repair)

Has anyone else experienced this problem, AND found a solution to it?

Thanks for the help,

Peter
Old June 27th, 2019, 4:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never had a problem with mine. My only complaint has been that they are too slow. At least maybe when the battery was run down. They seem fine now. There is a recall in the switch in my year. Something about rain and fires. I am not changing mine. They can mail me the part. I might do it myself then.

Why don't you try switching the circuit breaker? Change it for a different one?
Old June 27th, 2019, 4:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

By the way, maybe your auto switch doesn't disengage. I'll look at mine and test it to remember how it works. Maybe this is a problem that I've never noticed.
Old June 28th, 2019, 2:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Clean and lube up your mechanism and window slides.
Old July 1st, 2019, 10:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to mine so i took switch off and apart and pulled contacts up a bit and cleaned. it has worked perfect since...
The following users liked this post:
dberladyn (July 1st, 2019)
Old July 1st, 2019, 12:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wyn, many thanks for the response. Are you referring to the window up/down switch on the driver's door?

Peter
Old July 1st, 2019, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Take the cover of of switch off .. you should be able pull it up with out pulling the whole panel off. Unplug switch and just do what i did and pop it back together..By with the way i did that with rear a/c switch too.And no problems//