Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Purchasing a 2004 chevy express w/out keys stolen recovery?

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2020, 8:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Purchasing a 2004 chevy express w/out keys stolen recovery?

I’m having a hard time finding a nice YF7 conversion van prefer older than 07.

I’m concidering purchasing a 04 express explorer conversion van basically a vehicle w/ every option. This is a stolen recovery van, I believe the thief used a screwdriver in the ignition attach image.

Apparently thief crashed the van then ran off, I observe climate controls and radio missing hopefully he didn’t steal any expensive parts like what used to be attached to the silver box under pass. side dash..

Couple ?s

?1.if this is possible (starting w/out legit key) will a auction allow a buyer to continue using screwdriver as a ignition key? This van is being sold as a none runner.

When the thief breaks off the surrounding key switch doe’s this break the steering loose enabling steering?

?2.did the 04 GM express come w/ one key for both doors and ignition.

?3.if yes to #1. can a door lock cylinder be delivered to a locksmith for key duplicate key? Seams like if the auction was smart they would make an effort to provide a ignition key.

?4..if a key fob type key is needed, what written documents are required by the chevy dealership to deplicate fob/key.maybe a bill of sale?

?5. will VIN# revelve if vehicle was made w/ key FOB type key. Thanks for key advice.

Edit: a few years ago I attempted to hire a car transporter what a savage dog eat dog business the worst of any in car business.

Anyway I couldn’t get anyone to accept the job on the transit w/out keys which I believe the size of the express outweights the no key issue.

I have had a trailblazer delivered when the battery is dead the key can’t be used turned allowing the trans to be shifted to neutral wasn't a big deal for this driver.
Old September 7th, 2020, 11:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 2005 panel van just has one key for doors and ignition ,
but its a bare bone van ,
does it have the option code on the passanger door ? There might be an option for key fob ignition .

you could just pull the rear door lock and have a key made , at least that will let you open the doors ,

if the thief drove it away the steering had to be unlocked ......

Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
the Brain (September 8th, 2020)
Old September 7th, 2020, 11:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, the VIN will give you the options including remote door locks. I got a PDF by contacting GMC Customer Service.
I don't think there is a steering column lock on these vans based on working on mine.
Some auctions require you to register the vehicle before driving it away or you have to have it towed off the property. Check with the auction house on what they require.
Around here I believe stolen vehicles have a new VIN applied to them. Call your DMV to confirm about registration issues.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1GCHG39U641175956.pdf (95.5 KB, 55 views)
Old September 8th, 2020, 2:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

As far as I know, GM uses ignition steering wheel lock in all their vehicles, and these vans are no exception. But he wants to know if breaking the ignition key cylinder releases the lock, and I would say that it's possible.

You don't need to run the VIN through GM to find your option codes. They are printed right on a sticker on the door. However, the codes won't tell you what type of key the van uses.

If the van was in a serious crash, I would pass on it. There's no telling what surprises lurk within. It would be stupid of them to sell it as "not running" if all it needed was a new key cylinder.

You're going to need a new ignition cylinder. I would not drive the thing using a screwdriver because you never know when it's going to quit on your going at high speed or something. I'm sure that if you pay a visit or phone a GM dealer, they will tell you everything you need to know about getting a replacement key and cylinder. They will probably need your VIN# to match the new ignition keying to the existing doors locks.

Old September 8th, 2020, 7:59 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by SGMC Customer Service.
IteveROntario;452933
Yes, the VIN will give you the options including remote door locks. I got a PDF by contacting don't think there is a steering column lock on these vans based on working on mine.
Some auctions require you to register the vehicle before driving it away or you have to have it towed off the property. Check with the auction house on what they require.
Around here I believe stolen vehicles have a new VIN applied to them. Call your DMV to confirm about registration issues.
yes you are correct most auctions display there rules like moving won vehicles, I'm thinking if you ask nicely a copart staff member will drive vehicle to public property.

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
As far as I know, GM uses ignition steering wheel lock in all their vehicles, and these vans are no exception. But he wants to know if breaking the ignition key cylinder releases the lock, and I would say that it's possible.

You don't need to run the VIN through GM to find your option codes. They are printed right on a sticker on the door. However, the codes won't tell you what type of key the van uses.what is the code for keyless entry, the van is 1K miles away from home so I won't be looking at a code lable.

If the van was in a serious crash, I would pass on it. There's no telling what surprises lurk within. It would be stupid of them to sell it as "not running" if all it needed was a new key cylinder.yes serious crash needs front clip, clear titled this in my opinion is repairable.

You're going to need a new ignition cylinder. I would not drive the thing using a screwdriver because you never know when it's going to quit on your going at high speed or something.very good point maybe removing the cylinder and physically connect wires I'm sure that if you pay a visit or phone a GM dealer, they will tell you everything you need to know about getting a replacement key and cylinder. They will probably need your VIN# and bill of sale,to match the new ignition keying to the existing doors locks.
others have replied w/ copart does'nt really care what these write offs sell for copart only makes a small % it's the seller usaley a insurance co.

so it seams the insurance co. could care less about key or no key I believe this significantly reduces sale $. just I weird situation.insurance business is dirtier than the auto business
btw besides the front clip the rest looks nice.
do auctions have to disclose if air bags have been deployed,
the air bag equipped vehicle will indicate on the dash board red air bag.it's obvious w/ broken steering wheel cover & pass.dash pad. I believe disclosing air bag condition is a federal law.thanks for excellent advice as usale.

Last edited by the Brain; September 8th, 2020 at 8:07 AM.
Old September 9th, 2020, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by the Brain
what is the code for keyless entry
I have no idea but if you web search "GM RPO codes" then I'm sure you'll find it.

yes serious crash needs front clip
That could mean a bent frame, endless electrical gremlins ... Sounds like a big job.

very good point maybe removing the cylinder and physically connect wires
It's not the 1960s when you could just hotwire cars. There is anti theft protection.

do auctions have to disclose if air bags have been deployed,
If it had a serious crash ... bad enough to need a new front clip, then the airbags deployed.

Old September 9th, 2020, 1:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi
is this van dead cheap ? under 100,000 miles on it ?

I looked for months trying to find a van with low mileage , ended up with one at 130,000 miles and service records from new ,
it was a 2005 and was $5000 ,

I was looking for a panel van and most of them were fleet ones that were taken out of service at 200,000 miles or more ,

and many had the mileage tampered with , if you are in California you can check the mileage from the smog check record ,

Do you have someone in mind to fix the crash repair ? Did you show them the photos ?

At least out here there are many of these vans rustfree in the junkyards !

Good Luck

Old September 11th, 2020, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always get someone with HPtuners to delete the software key security, and then absolutely a screw driver will work. $100 and I'd do it if you were at my house.... If you have the vin, and a title/registration, the GM dealer will make a key. For older vehicles, if you show up with some sort of paperwork, most dealers will begrudgingly make a key (have one shipped if necessary)

also... they stopped using steering wheel locks in about the 2002 time frame. newer vehicles don't have steering wheel locks. less parts, less cost and it wasn't much of a theft deterrent anyhow.

Last edited by tlillard23; September 11th, 2020 at 11:08 PM.
Old September 12th, 2020, 5:33 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tlillard23
You can always get someone with HPtuners to delete the software key security, and then absolutely a screw driver will work. $100 and I'd do it if you were at my house.... If you have the vin, and a title/registration, the GM dealer will make a key. For older vehicles, if you show up with some sort of paperwork, most dealers will begrudgingly make a key (have one shipped if necessary)

also... they stopped using steering wheel locks in about the 2002 time frame. newer vehicles don't have steering wheel locks. less parts, less cost and it wasn't much of a theft deterrent anyhow.
are you saying this 04 model never had steer lock?

if I choose to show up and dive vehicle home can I expect ignition w/ a screwdriver bit untill a duplicate key or maybe even a complete igntion cylinder.

I believe a 04 GM has a pellet type key. this vehicle is a YF7 model which means it came standard w/ keyless entry, the key is know as the passlock thefth deterant sys. which is printed on radio and has the associated red blicking armed theft warning.

trackvw no on the cheap .
Old September 12th, 2020, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no. I am uncertain of the year that they discontinued the steering locks.
No, you should show up with a key that has the correct resistance pellet, OR software to defeat the VATS and a screw driver.
Maybe just wait for the next one that isn't a mess?