Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2020, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Push button start

So, the ignition in my 2008 Express 3500 has all but failed. It takes a solid 30-45 seconds for me to "find the sweet spot" to get the key to turn the ignition switch. I do not really care to have the ignition fixed, I'd much rather just wire up a push button ignition. I have a bunch of old switches and buttons laying around, and plenty of wire. I'm just curious if anyone has a wiring diagram to help make sure I wire it correctly? My plan is literally to cut each wire from the ignition switch and run them to switches and a push button under the dash. I won't go into too much detail since I am also using this as an anti theft device and I really do not want to disclose where and how the ignition button(s) will be located and operate. I am still working it out in my head, but I want it to be a challenge for someone to try to steal my van, even with the key.

Also, I am not a professional mechanic. I have spent plenty of time working on vehicles in my spare time, but I there is plenty that I do not know. With that being said, can I wire the "accessory" circuit and the "on/run" circuit to the same switch? My thoughts are that the radio and other accessories stays on for a certain amount of time after the vehicle has been turned off, until the door is opened. So I really do not need an "accessory" switch. I will be running my camping gear from a battery bank anyway. Plus I can just push the "accessory/run" switch on if I need anything that that switch would control. What are your thoughts on this project? What advice can you give? What am I missing in this equation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 17th, 2020, 10:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Click on GM Upfitters and search for your year, otherwise it may be similar to this.

https://dan.berladyn.online/gm/starting-system/
Old June 17th, 2020, 10:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For Anti-Theft, look at this page.

https://dan.berladyn.online/gm/autom...-lock-control/
Old June 22nd, 2020, 9:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I went thru the nightmare of replacing my tilt steering and then the key broke off. Being low on funds I got some heavy wire and a battery cutoff to use as ignition. Soldered and crimped copper terminals. I got a momentary 35 amp push button for starter.
Pay no attention to yellow button. It's my lockup til I find a better way
Also had my dimmer switch meltdown in a drive thru. I almost always double the stock wire and switch size when I rig mine and have never had a problem

Old June 24th, 2020, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

If you could just install button to start the vehicle, then I would think they would be too easy to hot-wire. I'm not sure the anti-theft will energize the fuel injectors without the right key. That could be later model though.
Old June 25th, 2020, 10:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
If you could just install button to start the vehicle, then I would think they would be too easy to hot-wire. I'm not sure the anti-theft will energize the fuel injectors without the right key. That could be later model though.
You could be right on that point. My 2007 was a pain a couple of times with the at and the brake tap trick to reset warning lights. Best way to be sure would be to check it with a remote start button or just a jumper wire clipped to solenoid before jumping in the deep end of the pool 😁