Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Radio broken

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2019, 1:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 670 Likes on 608 Posts

I can think of only two ways that your new stereo would get fried.

#1 alternator is malfunctioning.
#2 speakers shorted out.

And you can easily check for either condition with your multimeter.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 3:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if you were to replace the fuse while the radio is not connected, if the T/S sound comes back.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

If it plays through the speakers like mine, then I don't see how it could.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 7:58 PM
CF Veteran

It would be a module between the radio and the speakers. That's how aftermarket radios will still allow those sounds.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No Stan, the Factory sounds are all built right into the Factory radio. They created and amplified there, on the circuit board. Which is exactly why you need an aftermarket module for door chimes and turn signals if you change the radio. I believe the BCM sends a signal to the factory radio via the low speed bus. The radio gets the signal and says to itself create the door chime, create the turn signal click, create the backup sensor chime at X rate. That's how it works.
Old June 4th, 2019, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yep. There is no factory GM chime module (on a 2013 anyways. I cannot speak for others).
Old June 4th, 2019, 4:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

None of them will be any different, until you go far enough back to the point they used a different radio style. Even the former style I think might have made the door chimes, it's probably two radio styles back where you will find a separate module, which in reality is probably just the old clicker/flasher relay and buzzer.

There is an actual buzzer, chime module, available for any year on these vans. I actually bought one once. GM installs it in place of the radio when the options dictated NO RADIO on the build sheet. It produces terrible sounds though. I thought it would give "factory" sounds like we are accustomed to. Nope. It may as well have came from a 1974 Vandura, because that is how low the quality it sounded. Terrible buzzer.
Old June 4th, 2019, 9:01 AM
CF Veteran

How is it that my Pioneer has the same chimes/sounds?
Old June 4th, 2019, 7:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794HRR...e-Harness.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADS...ce-Module.html

just examples....
Old June 4th, 2019, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, in the end, I installed the new stereo and camera (boy that was fun), and... success! Everything works the way it should. Thanks guys for all your help.
And regarding the chime, the sounds are generated by the stereo itself, so with my new one I also got a separate buzzer that just floats around in the stereo cavity, a lot of the wires pass through it before going to the stereo, and it works. However, I noticed that the blinker ticking now sounds kinda fake, simply because of the speaker. Guess it goes to show there's nothing like the original, which actually sounded like a piece of metal hitting something instead of a sound from a tiny speaker in the stereo.
Thanks again for the assistance.