Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Random Misfire P0300

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2020, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 599 Posts

http://digitalcartography.com/n0eq/a...een-GM-TSB.pdf

https://www.napaechlin.com/media/313...utor-issue.pdf

Old March 31st, 2020, 8:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
so the new distributor solved the P0304 you were getting, and now you have a white hot spark?

You could try a timing light to see if the advance is in fact that low, or if it is being misreported.

Make sure the ignition module has a good ground. It could also have an intermittent short.

Abnormal HO2S readings will cause misfire.
Yeah., Joe. Your work is done here. Time to move on and help others.

Last edited by Ron6519; March 31st, 2020 at 8:32 PM.
Old March 31st, 2020, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator

why is it done? Did you solve the problem?
Old April 1st, 2020, 12:02 PM
CF Active Member

I didn't say I installed a new distributor and it fixed, P0304. I said the code was always a P)300 and once it came up as a P0304. Then I checked the wires and found the spark to be orange, not white. I interpreted that a weak spark and starting tracing electrical issues. It was then I found the advance drop signal.
Old April 1st, 2020, 1:11 PM
Super Moderator

I see. You're leading us down the garden path instead of starting with "I have a weak spark."

End your misery (and ours) and take the thing to a mechanic, Ron.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 7:06 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I see. You're leading us down the garden path instead of starting with "I have a weak spark."

End your misery (and ours) and take the thing to a mechanic, Ron.
I'm working on it because I don't think most mechanics are too bright. Most are parts changers and couldn't diagnose to save their lives.
You can feel free to stay away as well. You don't seem to be able to read a post and understand it.
The #9 post stated a spark issue. It also stated that the van was running fine. Good acceleration smooth idle and no problems starting. If it was a timing issue, the engine would have significant running issues. It doesn't. So a timing light would be of no diagnostic help. It's a signal issue.
I don't think you have a diagnostic bent, so like I said before. Go help other people .

Last edited by Ron6519; April 2nd, 2020 at 7:10 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 1:19 PM
Super Moderator

Diagnostics is starting with the obvious things first, not chasing spectres.

You are are right, I can't read your mixed up posts.

The light gets triggered by your signal, but you know better than everyone else, and you're smarter than a mechanic, so you should have this thing licked in no time!.

Good luck. (You'll need it.)
Old July 9th, 2020, 1:54 PM
CF Active Member

Situation repaired. Turns out it was an incompetent repair by my ex mechanic. He replaced the cam sensor connector and a 5 inch pigtail but used an incorrect connector which loosened up two out of three connections. The ground wire was losing contact and setting off the misfire code. I removed the clown wiring and soldered the wires together. No more codes.
Old July 9th, 2020, 4:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron6519
Situation repaired. Turns out it was an incompetent repair by my ex mechanic. He replaced the cam sensor connector and a 5 inch pigtail but used an incorrect connector which loosened up two out of three connections. The ground wire was losing contact and setting off the misfire code. I removed the clown wiring and soldered the wires together. No more codes.
Glad you fixed it. You might keep your NY attitude under your sleeve instead of wearing it on your sleeve.
Old July 10th, 2020, 9:11 AM
CF Active Member

The observation that the repair was incompetent was a factual one. If you can't tell the difference between a simple observation and, "attitude", you should confine your online activities to the Sesame Street website.(That was , "attitude" See the difference?)

Last edited by Ron6519; July 10th, 2020 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Random Misfire P0300