Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Relocated spare to rear door

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2015, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocated spare to rear door

Need to relocate spare to rear door like conversion vans. All parts i search for seem to be for previous style vans.

what the hell do the conversion vans use?

is this going to be another custom fab thing?

and yes...aluminess is out ($$$$$$)
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Spare?

Do you need a spare tire? I can't remember the last time I used one.
Old December 10th, 2015, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wgander

that guy murphy and i know each other well....so yeah lol. ive considered deleting it but really want to retain it.

without a long explanation, i need to utilize the space under the van where it currently resides and relocating it to the door would be awesome.

i can imagine in my mind a custom built carrier that fastens to the door without using the bumper or hinges but reinventing the wheel (no pun intended) can be time consuming. i did see a product by Curt that uses the hitch receiver to mount a spare. not sure how sturdy it is though. i see the conversion vans (even 2003 and up) with the spare on the door but im having no luck finding out how they do it or what product they use.
Old December 11th, 2015, 9:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

what year van and what type of rear doors does it have?
Old December 12th, 2015, 2:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cygvan
that guy murphy and i know each other well....so yeah lol. ive considered deleting it but really want to retain it.

without a long explanation, i need to utilize the space under the van where it currently resides and relocating it to the door would be awesome.

i can imagine in my mind a custom built carrier that fastens to the door without using the bumper or hinges but reinventing the wheel (no pun intended) can be time consuming. i did see a product by Curt that uses the hitch receiver to mount a spare. not sure how sturdy it is though. i see the conversion vans (even 2003 and up) with the spare on the door but im having no luck finding out how they do it or what product they use.
If you don't mind damaging the body (I would) I am sure you can modify an existing carrier or have one fabricated, bolting it through the skin. You would have to ensure you place large surface area plates on both sides of the skin for strength and resilence to denting. If I am wrong, I shall not be held liable for damages.

Maybe others could comment. Perhaps the simplest is a front mounted hitch with a tire carrier on that. I can't imagine what you would use the space underneath for if not a fuel tank of some sort (gas, propane, natural gas, etc.)
Old December 13th, 2015, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
what year van and what type of rear doors does it have?

2003. has std doors with fixed glass
Old December 13th, 2015, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
If you don't mind damaging the body (I would) I am sure you can modify an existing carrier or have one fabricated, bolting it through the skin. You would have to ensure you place large surface area plates on both sides of the skin for strength and resilence to denting. If I am wrong, I shall not be held liable for damages.

Maybe others could comment. Perhaps the simplest is a front mounted hitch with a tire carrier on that. I can't imagine what you would use the space underneath for if not a fuel tank of some sort (gas, propane, natural gas, etc.)
i would like to use the space underneath for a wastewater tank. placement of which is important due to sink location inside van.

i believe i will have to bolt it to the door skin. thick plates inside and out are a definite must. glad to see someone else thought it necessary too. i think ill wind up with a custom mount. i wish i had the room and tools to weld up some stock to give it a go.

front hitch tire mount is interesting..
Old December 25th, 2015, 3:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a Conversion van once in a parking lot and didn't take a picture of the rear trailer hitch that had an additional offset hitch behind the Driver's side rear door with a hinged hitch that had a spare tire bracket on it. When you needed to open the rear driver\s door the pin in the hitch hinge was pulled and the spare tire carrier dropped down so as to open the door. It looked professional and not homemade. Wish i had taken a pic and/or gotten a brand name. It was the cat's ***. I Have decided to add 2 spare holders to my trailer that will travel on long trips with me.
Old December 28th, 2015, 4:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is one called the Trojan Tire Carrier.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/bumpers-lights/

http://www.sportsmobile.com/sections...bumper01_3.jpg
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by wgander
if he has a flat will he need one? I just had an idiot mechanic dismantle my parking brake cable saying he hasn't used his in years. Mine was sticking so instead of fixing the problem he thought it was ok for me to drive without an emergency brake. Common sense seems to be lacking on this world today.