Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Replaced Battery, tried to start, heard a pop and now everything is dead.

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2008, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Battery, tried to start, heard a pop and now everything is dead.

We have a 2000 Chevy Express G1500 Van w/5.7l engine. Occasionally the map lights get left on and the battery drains. Today the Battery was dead again (we left the Garmin plugged in and had not run the van for several days - and it has been COLD). We put the charger on it and tried to start it - no luck. We tried to jump it, again, no luck. The van would slowly turn over but would never start. It seemed like it just couldn't get enough juice, even when we were jumping it.
So I bought and installed a replacement battery. When I tried to start the van, I noticed that the amp meter on the dash was down farther than normal. It started to turn over, I heard a "pop" and everything went completely dead.
Is there a main fuse or something that I should check? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old December 25th, 2008, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replaced Battery, tried to start, heard a pop and now everything is dead.

I figured this out. It was caused by a poor connection at the Battery. We disconnected and and reconnected the new battery and everything worked fine.