Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

(Semi)Permanently closing and sealing the fresh air door

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2020, 3:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default (Semi)Permanently closing and sealing the fresh air door

I am smelling exhaust even when the AC is on recirc mode. When I use the defroster in the cold, it also brings exhaust in. I don't ever want to bring in fresh air - if I want it I can open the windows. Is the fresh air door (blend door?) easily accessible? I did this in my old Subaru - waited until it closed and then unplugged the motor. However, in my van it seems to leak even when it's closed so I want to access it so I can put a new seal on it if possible.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 2:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Leaking exhaust is exactly the reason to bring in fresh air. The inside of the vehicle is a gas chamber. One day you're going to start feel really sleepy and then you will never wake up.

Fix your exhaust leak.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 4:35 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Leaking exhaust is exactly the reason to bring in fresh air. The inside of the vehicle is a gas chamber. One day you're going to start feel really sleepy and then you will never wake up.

Fix your exhaust leak.
I don't have an exhaust leak. The only time I ever smell exhaust (with the AC on recirc) is if I'm behind a vehicle that is making alot of it - often diesels or other poorly-running cars. I then open my windows to get the exhaust smell out and once I get away from that vehicle, it's not an issue. I just drove 11 hours with the windows closed with zero issues. The issue is that the fresh air door is not sealing out the fresh air. My friend has the same issue with his Silverado that's gotten worse over the years.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 5:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by VanKo
I don't have an exhaust leak. The only time I ever smell exhaust (with the AC on recirc)
you don't smell exhaust on fresh air mode...only recirc?

what year is your van? need to know if it uses use vac actuators or electric
Old November 22nd, 2020, 5:43 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
you don't smell exhaust on fresh air mode...only recirc?

what year is your van? need to know if it uses use vac actuators or electric
In normal traffic with the AC on recirc, I don't smell exhaust. If there's a vehicle in front of me that's creating alot of exhaust/smoke, it gets into my AC, even though the fresh air door should be closed. This concentration is lower than what I would smell if I opened my window so I know it's only leaking a little bit. It shouldn't be coming in at all on recirc.

If I'm on fresh air - either AC non-recirc or heat - I get alot more exhaust if there's a smelly or smoky vehicle in front of me. During the winter, there is no recirc on the heat setting so it's all fresh air.

I never get exhaust smells from my own vehicle - I've been through this van with a fine-toothed comb and it's not leaking exhaust.

It's a 2013 with vac controls.

I had a brand new Subaru that would force fresh air when I turned on the defroster. So in the winter, if I wanted to use the defroster while driving I had to smell exhaust. I simply closed the fresh air door and unplugged it. Never smelled exhaust again after that.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 6:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Just to be clear, we are talking about the "MAX" air delivery mode on the selector, right? That is the only one which recirculates the air. All others take air from the cowl. The temperature selector has no effect on air source. Even MAX takes in a bit of outside air by design. You'll notice that even if you switch the mode to the off setting, outside air still comes in (also by design). That's because there is nothing to block it. This is for safety reasons so people don't die.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 6:47 PM
CF Active Member

Yes, MAX is the only recirc option. I was not aware that it brings air in by design, I've been thinking it was leaking this whole time. This is the first car I've had that brings traffic exhaust fumes in while in recirc mode. But it makes sense now that you explain it that way. If there was exhaust leaking from the engine, it would have no way to get out if the air system was sealed. Thanks!
Old November 25th, 2020, 6:20 AM
CF Active Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Just to be clear, we are talking about the "MAX" air delivery mode on the selector, right? That is the only one which recirculates the air. All others take air from the cowl. The temperature selector has no effect on air source. Even MAX takes in a bit of outside air by design. You'll notice that even if you switch the mode to the off setting, outside air still comes in (also by design). That's because there is nothing to block it. This is for safety reasons so people don't die.
Given this concept, is there a way to change the configuration so it's always on recirc, even for heat? I would be ok with a little bit of fresh air coming in by design (the same amount that comes in on MAX) while using heat as it would be a huge improvement over the 100% fresh air (and traffic exhaust) that comes in now.
Old November 25th, 2020, 2:37 PM
Super Moderator

Of course you could just prop open the recirc door. It should be vacuum actuated so it won't hurt anything. One caveat, when the vehicle is gets hot inside on a sunny day, it is going to take much longer to get it cool.
Old November 25th, 2020, 3:51 PM
CF Active Member

Of course you could just prop open the recirc door. It should be vacuum actuated so it won't hurt anything. One caveat, when the vehicle is gets hot inside on a sunny day, it is going to take much longer to get it cool.
Just the opposite actually, I want to keep it closed as much as possible (like it is on recirc) all the time. So during the winter when I have the heat on, less outside are is coming in. Basically I want recirc mode to work on heat also.

Quick Reply: (Semi)Permanently closing and sealing the fresh air door