Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Service codes

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2011, 3:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service codes

Hi Guys, have a lovely white GMC Savana Van with Designer Vans interior and red / blue Flames across the sides, look like a perfect design for a "Hot Wheels" toy car.

Anyways, it has a 250HP Vortex 5,7 liter engine with double catalysts and 2 lambda sensors per catalyst, one before and one after.
From the beginning boths catalysts and lambda sonsors were located at the right side of the car, but when building separate exhaust systems for right and left side I had to relocate one of the catalysts to the left side.
When doing so the primary lamda sensor had cable length that was ok, but the secondary for the lefdt side had to be made longer. In my daily work I am working with electronics so I have not by mistake mixt up the wiring for the sensor, and have also checked so that the resistance in Ohm are not changed compared with original.

The sound was lovely with 3" tubes and only short 25cm glassfiber filled mufflers from the Swedish Simons systems. Low frequency, rather loud and gives the impression of a larger stronger motor.

But after around 1000 miles the service enginge indikator lamp was lit. I have a hard time to think that it is because of the new exhaust systems and the relocated lambda sensor.

So my question today is , are there any not to expensive units to connect to the service port under the dashboard to be recommended, or any USB devices with programs to read the service message from the car.

It may be so that the service lamp wants to indicate something else than the lambda sensor, It would be nice if there was a display in the panel that could actually in words tell in what way the car does not feel well

Any Ideas guys ? Please also email to bo@franzens.se as it is not always that I have time to go into the forum.

Best Regards from the SouthEast of Sweden, that this morning had around 0 degrees centergrade and beautiful colouring of the leaves in the woods.
/ Bo