Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

"Service Traction Control" message quickly appears then disappears

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2021, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Service Traction Control" message quickly appears then disappears

Hi All,

I have a 2016 Express with 57k. Tonight I was returning home from Home Depot after having loaded 1600 pounds of cement bags in the rear when I received the "Service Traction Control" message. The message disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Happened 4 times in only about 2 miles. I plan on driving it some more tomorrow to see if I continue to get the message.

I've researched this a bit online and it appears that some models have a recall that throws this error code but those models seem limited to the other Chevy's like the Impala, Cruze or Avalanche. Has anyone experienced this error with the Express?

Any ideas what to look for?
Old April 24th, 2021, 12:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Based on the load in the back I would look at the possibility of it being one of the wires to a wheel speed sensor likely in the rear.
Old April 25th, 2021, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Triaged. I checked out the wheel sensor. Looked good but I may want to dig in a bit deeper. I drove around a bunch yesterday (with no weight in the back) with no more error messages.

My son (12 year old) had another theory that has promise. When I loaded the cement in I didn't evenly distribute the weight. Because I only took out half of the rear bench seat most of the weight was to the side. Of the 1600 pounds1300 of it was on the passenger side and only 300 was on the drivers side of the rear of the van. I wonder if that threw off the rotation speed of the two rear wheels just enough to throw that error message...

Is that plausible?