Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

side door

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2019, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default side door

first post for a new member.looks like the best forum. pros and cons of a slider side door or a two door with hinges thanks much
The following users liked this post:
dberladyn (August 3rd, 2019)
Old August 3rd, 2019, 7:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are you going to use the van for ?
Old August 3rd, 2019, 7:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 60/40 is quieter when closing and uses much less force (if maintained) as opposed to a manual slider (auto closes at the touch of a button I assume). Requires being mindful of obstructions if I plan on opening it though.
The following users liked this post:
dberladyn (August 3rd, 2019)
Old August 3rd, 2019, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks Trackvw,going too take most seats out and pull a camper of some light weight.Thanks Beau oszman you made me change my mind I thought the slider was better. but now the 60/40 will last a lot longer.and be easier.Beau I like satans hole,it better than old man winters white crap.don't do cold anymore
Old August 3rd, 2019, 9:15 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

60/40 gives you slightly more access when side loading, but you have to take the time to open the doors FULL OPEN. Otherwise they stop just past 90 degrees.
Open partly in one motion.
Opens near full in two motions
Open Full Open in Four motions.

Sliders give you access when parked closer to another object. Like another car in a parking lot.
Opens Full in one motion.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 9:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, little more of a pain. Wait for a few more responses. I've only had experience with either for a year each.
Old August 4th, 2019, 7:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the process of buying a new extended length passenger van. In my search, I found that nearly 90% of all the vans produced are equipped with the swing out doors (as it's standard). The sliding door is an upgraded option for the last several years (possibly longer). I originally found several vans with all the options I wanted but none with a sliding door. I was okay with that. But as I got to thinking, we have younger kids who are very independent in getting in and out of our current minivan with sliding doors. No worries of hitting parked vehicles in parking lots. With a much larger van and with only one exit door, I soon realized that parking lots would be an obstacle each and every time vehicles parked next to the us. Our young kids aren't as diligent as us parents and I can see the first ding coming in a matter of days (either to the van doors or to someone else's body panels).

So I was back at square one looking for a van equipped with a sliding door option. We found a few and will hopefully be taking delivery next week on one. Again, if you have kids, be mindful how they exit a large vehicle. Sliding doors will ease the worries quite a bit. Just wish they had an automatic close/open option like on our Town and Country.
Old August 4th, 2019, 8:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The front double side door hits the front door edge if you time it right. You will see lots of these vans where the doors are marred from two people trying to get out of the van at the same time. I'm not sure what years this covers but it's a foolish problem to have to deal with. My van has skirting on the doors and it makes it worse.
One thing to consider is access with one door open. With our Dodge, you cannot get into the van with one side door open and the front passenger seat all the way back. You have to open both doors or slide the seat forward.
Old August 4th, 2019, 6:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked for a sliding door panel and most were double doors ,
I was only going to buy a sliding door panel, standard lenght and it took me months to find a low mileage one ,

I had a double door window van years ago , nothing wrong with it , I just did not like how the doors were when parked and opened,

I think you need to get in a few at a used car lot and see how it works for you getting in and out of the back.

\,
Old August 4th, 2019, 7:01 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackvw
I looked for a sliding door panel and most were double doors ,
I was only going to buy a sliding door panel, standard lenght and it took me months to find a low mileage one ,

I had a double door window van years ago , nothing wrong with it , I just did not like how the doors were when parked and opened,

I think you need to get in a few at a used car lot and see how it works for you getting in and out of the back.

\,
Funny. This is my fifth van. All four prior were sliders. Swing doors were rare in my world. Perhaps it depends on location?
I do wish I had dual sliders. That would be the best. Maybe extended too.