Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Speed limiter / fuel saver bypass

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2023, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed limiter / fuel saver bypass

I don't recommend doing this because it may effect traction control and other safety systems and could cause damage to your transmission. This is for informational purposes only and I am not liable for any damages that may occur if you were to try this.

I found a way to disable the 76mph speed limiter on a 2014 Chevy Express 1500 service vehicle. As a side effect it also disabled the "fuel saver" shift program that wouldn't allow the van to go more than 55mph up hills on the freeway.

So, all that I did is disconnect the transmission output shaft speed sensor on the tail shaft housing of the transmission (see pic).

There are some side effects that I should mention. The airbag light and check engine light stay on. Initially it over revved and did not shift or show the speed on the gauge but this only happened the first time I drove it with sensor disconnected then the speedometer started working and shifting returned to normal. Other than that it seems to work great with no more annoying speed limiter and I can actually pass on a two lane highway.

If anyone knows what kind of damage or other issues may occur from doing this please let me know. Again, I don't recommend doing this, I just wanted to share this info for educational purposes.

Last edited by Datwhiteni99a; September 1st, 2023 at 2:41 PM.
Old September 1st, 2023, 4:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

This is a terrible idea. Do NOT do this .
Old September 2nd, 2023, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
This is a terrible idea. Do NOT do this .
Agreed, but programming the computer to not downshift when going up hill, or allowing the kick down to activate while at max speed is also a bad idea. It does not save much fuel if your cruising at 76mph with the engine at 3500 rpms in 3rd gear. I know it's a bad idea but I was kind of looking for a reason why it is a bad idea. There are versions of the 4l60e that do not have an output speed sensor and use the rear axle for the speed signal, which is what the computer must have defaulted to, because my speedo still works.