Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

squirmy tires

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2019, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squirmy tires

On both this van and previous van, when tires were replaced on rear the vans suddenly would squirm around in back like driving in mud.

First van they just overinflated, did 70+# and door frame stated 60. dropped the pressure and van drove normally again.

New van, two yr old just got new tires on back. going to first jobthe traction control light was coming on constatly when driving on secondary roads as the the back of van could feel it walking as went through curves. could even feel the brakes in back kicking in.
got to site and back tires were 80#. door frame has 80 stated. reduced to just over 70 and drives better, traction ligh still comes on in curves and feels squirmy still.

The first tires were at 65 and drove well, wore evenly also. both vans had shelving added before boss purchased. wondering if they didn't adjust something when mods (shelving) was added?

van simply does not feel safe and computer doesn't like it either. any guess to whats up? thanks.
Old August 28th, 2019, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

I just rotated my tires and I can feel the handling is very strange. The tires chirp more around corners and yes the traction light is coming on (I can feel it cutting power too). If you have brand new tires, new rubber formula, then the effect will be even greater. Maybe the tires just need some breaking in. (and maybe the driver a bit too).
Old August 28th, 2019, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

not the first time this has happened, reducing air pressure fixed on other van. reducing 15# seems pretty extreme, but then last set tires I had at 65#. handling issues have gone away with reduced pressure, not sure then why need so high psi on door frame unless have an additional 5-800 lbs inside.
Old August 29th, 2019, 4:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the pressure stated on the door is the max pressure. It's the max pressure allowed - usually when towing or hauling heavy loads. Otherwise, the pressure is usually a lot less - usually what the tire manufacturer recommends.
Old August 29th, 2019, 6:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

@doug
I think you are confusing it with the pressure indicated on the tire. The pressure on the door is what you want. The tire manufacturer has no idea what you're driving.
Old August 29th, 2019, 7:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Bryan, I'm not sure how involved you were in choosing the new tires, but I'd check if they are the correct load rating. Just because they are the right size doesn't mean they're the correct tire.
Old August 29th, 2019, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Very true Stan..... Stan hit on what I was thinking when someone describing what you are....feeling... but your feeling this while Not towing just driving.... usually you feel this when tires are under rated and your towing...
Old August 30th, 2019, 11:04 AM
CF Junior Member

I had the same trouble for years on my 87 g30 and a guy at the tire shop told me new tires need a coulple weeks on the road to ''cure'' the tires. So i tried it [i drive a lot of miles in two weeks] and after that tires did seem to stiffen up and the ''handling like a slinky'' went away . I also had a shop one time put load range d tires insted of e on my truck and the first corner i took was very ''exciting'' to say the least but when the shop reopened in the morning i was first in line and they fixed there mistake but i always double checked from then untill today.