Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Starting an 05 6.0 on a 3500 without the cab

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2023, 8:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Starting an 05 6.0 on a 3500 without the cab

Hi,

I am building and extended frame custom 4x4 van, and have the engine, transmission, and transfer case mounted with the cab off, and am about to fabricate the drive shaft to make a complete rolling chassis.

I want to start the engine on the frame, but without putting the cab on.

I have an 03 1500 with 5.3 (Same as 6.0) I borrowed the engine harness from, but right now I am interested in getting the instrument cluster working, and the ignition system. I do not care about anything else other than the engine running, and instruments.

My idea is, to cut the harness in the 03, to the fuse box, to the ignition, to the cluster, and basically cut everything else. (Heater, doors, lights, airbags, radio, etc.) Just to get the engine running to make sure it will start before I put the cab on. If it starts and runs and makes good oil pressure, I will shut it down, toss the donor harness, and put the cab on after painting the underside and buttoning it up, basically making a running, driving cab that needs the *** end fabricated to it.

Are there any ancillary components on the cab harness required to make the engine run? I doubt it, but that is why I am asking.

Thanks.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I ran a jumper to the fuel pump and ECM1 and blipped the starter I wonder if it would start.