Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Startup issues with Chevrolet Express 2002 6.5 Europe/Export

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2021, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Startup issues with Chevrolet Express 2002 6.5 Europe/Export

Hello. I have a Chevrolet Express 2002 model, (Norway) ST68870, 1GCFG25F521162802, which I can't start. One day I was driving it, turned it off and left it for about 1 hour. When I got back, the car would not open with the remote key fob and ofcourse not start. So I suspect there is some issues with the Passlock system, and since it's different from the US models and such it becomes a little bit difficult to bypass as far as I know. The remote key fob blinks with a small red light when I push either lock or unlock.
From what I have read online, there are only 2 ways to get the car started on export vehicles, No. 1 is to use the remote key fob that turns off the Passlock system for 2 minutes, or No. 2 is to use the "override code" which is a 5 digit code that comes with the car when it is new, something I do not have.
I have tried to find the 5 digit override code with a Tech2 and TIS2000 software, but with no luck, I think I do not have the right security access on TIS2000. There is no fault codes when i check with the Tech2.

The key fob runs on 433.92 MHz and not the usual US type 315(?) MHz, I have not yet found a new remote key fob for my car with that MHz. The receiver (Blue box 16242815) or theft deterrent was laying "loose" on top of the engine cover, might be broken? I dont know how to check if it is broken or not, or if I get a new one, will it need to be programmed or something like that, or is it only "plug and play"?

Please help.
-Robin
Old August 24th, 2021, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Doge
Hello. I have a Chevrolet Express 2002 model, (Norway) ST68870, 1GCFG25F521162802, which I can't start. One day I was driving it, turned it off and left it for about 1 hour. When I got back, the car would not open with the remote key fob and ofcourse not start. So I suspect there is some issues with the Passlock system, and since it's different from the US models and such it becomes a little bit difficult to bypass as far as I know. The remote key fob blinks with a small red light when I push either lock or unlock.
From what I have read online, there are only 2 ways to get the car started on export vehicles, No. 1 is to use the remote key fob that turns off the Passlock system for 2 minutes, or No. 2 is to use the "override code" which is a 5 digit code that comes with the car when it is new, something I do not have.
I have tried to find the 5 digit override code with a Tech2 and TIS2000 software, but with no luck, I think I do not have the right security access on TIS2000. There is no fault codes when i check with the Tech2.

The key fob runs on 433.92 MHz and not the usual US type 315(?) MHz, I have not yet found a new remote key fob for my car with that MHz. The receiver (Blue box 16242815) or theft deterrent was laying "loose" on top of the engine cover, might be broken? I dont know how to check if it is broken or not, or if I get a new one, will it need to be programmed or something like that, or is it only "plug and play"?

Please help.
-Robin
Have the same problem and the same box...
Did you find the sollution?
Old August 24th, 2021, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by huricane4
Have the same problem and the same box...
Did you find the sollution?
Yes, I changed the PCM I got from a 98 model (mine is 2002), and this does not have the imobilizer thing. Some people may also help you with the one you got to downgrade it to a older version like mine now. I have removed the blue box, so the remote control wont work. Car starts and works fine now.
Hope this helps, and good luck
Old August 24th, 2021, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, I changed the PCM I got from a 98 model (mine is 2002), and this does not have the imobilizer thing. Some people may also help you with the one you got to downgrade it to a older version like mine now. I have removed the blue box, so the remote control wont work. Car starts and works fine now.
Hope this helps, and good luck
Thanks alot ☺️
My is a 1998 model but have immobilizer, where did you buy/program the PCM?
Old August 24th, 2021, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks alot ☺️
My is a 1998 model but have immobilizer, where did you buy/program the PCM?
Oh. I got mine from a friend who was getting rid of the car.. And I only know of a local shop who can fix the programing, but I think they want the whole car at their place to fix it..
Old August 24th, 2021, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Oh. I got mine from a friend who was getting rid of the car.. And I only know of a local shop who can fix the programing, but I think they want the whole car at their place to fix it..
Where are you located?

Old August 24th, 2021, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Where are you located?
Bergen, Norway
Old August 24th, 2021, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Bergen, Norway
Found a guy i Finland/suomi that could reprogram just the box so sent it of to him now.
👍

Old September 14th, 2021, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Please help.
-Robin
Hi Robin,

I also own a 2002 Tahoe which is an Euro model. I am also in Norway. I have no problems yet, but would like to be prepared. So you are saying that I cannot use any PCM for example purchased thru Rock Auto. It has to be an Euro PCM? Been trying to get a spare remote, not have any luck with than.

Thanks,

Brian
Old September 15th, 2021, 1:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Any replacement PCM you buy requires some programming to use in the vehicle. A used one may work without anything done to it, so long as it is from a van with the same engine and transmission combo.

Quick Reply: Startup issues with Chevrolet Express 2002 6.5 Europe/Export