Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Steam in cab? 2005 express 2500 V8 6.0L 275,000m

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2015, 3:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steam in cab? 2005 express 2500 V8 6.0L 275,000m

This morning I turned on the demister and found myself sitting in a sauna that smells like Indian curry!. I guess the heater core? BTW I have been losing coolant slowly over the last 3 years but that is an inlet manifold leak I am told [about 1 gal per month?]. Can anyone point me to an instructable on how to replace the core? Or even access the core to confirm that its toast? Could it be a hose? I do see coolant dripping out the joints in the passenger wheel well. Using about 1 gal per day now, so filling with water till I can get it repaired. Its Spring! Also what would be a reasonable cost [in Atlanta if that's a factor] to pay a mechanic to replace it?
Old April 30th, 2015, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heater core is under the dash on the passenger side, and a bugger to get to.....Best to tackle it yourself if you are up for it, as it will save you $$.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Not much usable information here, so I decided to get a service manual and go ahead anyway. Haynes service manual is a P.O.S. Its based on a 1999 model and there are many differences in the newer models [mine is 2004]. Also they say things like remove the 2 clamps, but in the picture, the engine is missing, so its damn easy. In real life you can maybe get 2 fingers in there if you lucky. There is a cut line along the hinge portion of the cover so thats easy. A long filet knife is good, and the sharp point used to make slots. It just peels away after removing the 7 bolts. Cut the hoses off the core in engine compartment, because there is NO WAY to remove those clamps. Had to cut the metal pipes off the core, once to get it out and once to get behind the ridge to allow removal of pipe and clamp thru the engine compartment. Even with the core out the remaining pipes wont go back or forwards. Had to cut twice. So now its all out and I can bypass the core and get going again. Gives me 6 months till I need a heater again!!

Last edited by Syncman; May 3rd, 2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Photos wont open
Old May 3rd, 2015, 1:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Its back! Surprisingly easy, because I didnt have to mess with pliers and clamps. Just squeezed the clamps open, tied them up with string and cut the string when the clamps and hoses were back in position. Again there is NO way to get a tool of any type in there. No leaks, heater working so we hope it lasts. Cost About $85-00 and 4 hours. Looking back, I cut the rubber hoses in the engine side before cutting the core pipes in the cab. Could have skipped that because with the aluminum core pipes cut, they just push thru into the engine compartment, and saved some money and some time.

Last edited by Syncman; May 3rd, 2015 at 6:23 PM.