Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Steering locked turning to the right.

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2010, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering locked turning to the right.

I had a problem today when I parked my van and restarted it to leave. The steering would NOT turn to the right. It turned to the left ok, but stopped about mid way, and would not turn any more to the right. After several trys, I heard a little 'clunk' and then the wheel was fine when turning to the right. Either something got stuck under the car in the steering linkage, or it's another problem, perhaps an internal problem in the steering box itself. Anyone experience this type of problem ? I'm almost afraid to drive it in fear the steering will lock up ion the highway. Any suggestions ?
Old December 23rd, 2010, 5:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have the steering rack checked for binding or corrosion. What year is this van by the way?
Old December 24th, 2010, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vantasy1
I would have the steering rack checked for binding or corrosion. What year is this van by the way?
Thanks.....I have a 2000 van. I have the recirculating ball type of steering box. I am not sure what could have caused it to lock up like that.
Old December 31st, 2010, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Best I can tell is I have a recirculating ball type of steerring. The steering locked up again on me for the second time. It seemed that when I turned the steering hard to the left while parking, it caused the steering to lock up again - so I only had the left third area of my steering. After going back and forth a feew times, it cleared up. I'm assuming it might be something wrong with the steering box causing it to lock up when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. Any ideas ?