Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Stereo replacement, AUX in help

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo replacement, AUX in help

Hey all, I'm new here, and looking for some expertise on GM factory stereos.

I have a 2003 Express 1500 with a factory 6-disc in-dash changer (part no 25753974). I really would like to have an aux input to plug in an external source (iPod, etc), but really don't want to buy an aftermarket stereo.

After a little (clearly not enough) research, I bought a used stereo on ebay (part no. 15074533) which has a CD and a cassette, as well as an iSimple ISGM535 interface device, which I understand mimics a factory AUX device, so the factory stereo can receive a generic aux input.

Two problems, I guess.

1) the stereo I bought doesn't have an aux button in the first place (my original stereo does, but I was told that it was not possible to use the AUX interface on a model with the 6-disc internal changer).

2) more importantly, when I took the installed stereo to the dealer to have them re-program it to my vehicle, they said that they cannot do so. They told me the only possible solution was to buy a brand new stereo from GM, which comes with a code that they can use to program it to my vehicle.

I've read about procedures to authorize stereos that involve calling Delco's 800 number, and punching in some codes and receiving a code to then enter via the faceplate, but I assume this procedure is for older models.

Can anyone comment on the truth of the dealer's statement? I would be happy to buy a new factory stereo if this were truly the solution to the problem, but I just don't really believe them.

I spoke with someone from replacementradios.com, and their conclusion was that I have no option other than an aftermarket stereo (unless I use an AUX tuner interface, which I am not interested in doing). A cassette interface would even do, if I can get the stereo I purchased working.

Any useful input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Karl
SF Bay Area
Old February 3rd, 2012, 8:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm guessing the issue with "programming" has to do with an Onstar connection? Otherwise, there should be no connection other than power and speakers, which have no "programming" involved. If no Onstar involved, get another radio shop.