Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Swapping option items from my 2014 into my 2020 Express 2500 LT

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2022, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping option items from my 2014 into my 2020 Express 2500 LT

Hey everybody,
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide to me.
Flew out to Pennsylvania, from Minnesota yesterday. Drove back home in my "New to me" 2020 Express 2500 LT today.
To my chagrin, It doesn't have a couple of the items I thought it did, that are in my 2014 Express 2500 LT that I still have in my driveway.
I want to switch these to my new one. But, before digging into all of it in the cold crappy rain, I figured I'd ask those of you that "Know" some of the answers.
I'm very mechanical. I do HVAC service, have been doing this stuff alll of my life. Also, my dad owned a body shop for 45 years. Just trying to avoid wasted time.
I just want to "Abort/Frankenstein" what I can from my existing van, as I am going to be selling it "As-is" ASAP!

1. I really want to swap my power drivers seat into my new one.. My guess is that they are all the same for this generation of Express. I see that the wiring harness (Power. Guessing 2 wires) drops into the carpet beside the BCM/ECM under the drivers seat. Anybody know where it terminates? My thought is that it is just a constant hot 12v supply and ground. Junction box below the carpet?

2. As I'm in Minnesota, I would really like to swap my rear door windows to my new one. My 2014 has rear defoggers on the glass. The 2020 does not. I know that the wire harnesses from the rear pillars into the rear doors would need to be swapped with the rubber boots. Also, my new one DOES have the power/heated mirrors that are powered by the same button as the rear defoggers are. So, I believe that I should be set with that. Thoughts?

3. Outdoor temperature. I know this was a $10.00 "Option". Can I just install a sensor/thermistor to make this work? If so, where is it located under the hood now?
My 2014 has a slightly different hood/cowl area on top of the radiator support. The 2020 has a "Molded" hood weatherstrip/seal. And, that mates up to a molded plastic area on top of the radiator. Didn't know if that changed the location.

4. As for "Bluetooth".
Is this something that you had to have purchased from the build? From what I had read last night in the owners manual, it references the steering wheel mounted volume/phone controls having to be used to utilize the bluetooth. I don't know if I should just entirely replace the audio system with aftermarket. I installed upper rear speakers, and rear door speakers in my 2014. It was nice to have "Some" volume.

On another note. Drove my new van from PA to MN yesterday and today. 15-1/2 hours of driving and 1650 miles. Only to get home, and see that some SOB wrecked my front bumper at one of the "Turnpike Oasis" stops on the way home, and left. Nice surprise to see when I went to show it off to family upon arriving home.

Old May 4th, 2022, 3:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

In the old days swapping this stuff was no big deal. Now you have umpteen computer modules to run everything and they're not programmed for stuff the vehicle doesn't have. So you need to research the control on each of those items you want to switch. You'll also need to check the interchange since GM likes to change things for the sake of change every few years and maybe it has a different harness plug or something dumb like that.