Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Towing with GM 1 ton extended passenger van (Savana/Express)

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2019, 7:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greenfire
You will have no problems towing that weight with said van. The long wheelbase is very stable and the rear does not sag. Use tow/haul and manually select gears when necessary. The "grade braking" works very well and that will kick on automatically.
Not much sag on the rear. Only dropped 2.5 inches. Almost level. We just got back from a 800 mile r/t camping excursion. Van handled well...for the most part. The steering is a bit more loose than my RAM. The rear end is also more "excitable" when steering corrections are made. To tighten it up, I am going to add a Hellwig sway bar. All the reviews I've read are positive. I still can't believe these vans don't come equipped with one.

Overall, the ride is a bit more forgiving than my RAMs sitting on 20 inch wheels. The new shocks helped with rebound control. The interior space is a blessing. Had 3 bikes inside as well as bbq grill, inflatable kayaks, propane tank, and large container for campfire wood with plenty more room to spare.

Here's a few pics of the rig this past week.
The following users liked this post:
greenfire (August 18th, 2019)
Old August 18th, 2019, 7:20 PM
CF Junior Member

The following users liked this post:
greenfire (August 18th, 2019)
Old August 18th, 2019, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Old August 18th, 2019, 9:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice rig.

These beasts don't need a sway bar if you're not towing heavy stuff. I only tow light stuff (1500 lbs, maybe) and never needed one.
Old August 18th, 2019, 9:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
Nice rig.

These beasts don't need a sway bar if you're not towing heavy stuff. I only tow light stuff (1500 lbs, maybe) and never needed one.
My 7600# trailer is on the border of being heavy. Even unloaded, I can feel the body roll in turns or even with aggressive lane changes. It's more noticeable with the trailer attached. My Hensley hitch eliminates the trailer sway.
Old August 19th, 2019, 6:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you get some loaded and unloaded wheel centre to fender distances (front and back wheels)? I'd like to compare my saggy old 2004 to a new van.
Cheers, Steve
Old August 23rd, 2019, 8:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Rsb

Was able to get a Hellwig rear sway bar installed today. Towed my trailer home from the storage lot tonight. The van feels completely different as the rear end does not feel loose anymore. All that leaning is gone. Can't wait to tow with it next week. Best mod so far.
Old August 24th, 2019, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trans temps.... i have a deep tranny pan and a big oil cooler
On the outside of the condensor....I use a ELM327 bluetoothed to my tablet to keep my eyes on all gauge readings... my trans temps have never gotton to 200 degrees...
Old September 14th, 2020, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading this forum with interest.
We are a family of 6 (4 kiddos) and need something that can tow a travel trailer and the family comfortably. I have an F350 as my Daily Driver and wife has a Minivan. We are thinking about swapping the mini van for a conversion van capable of pulling the TT. I could do it with my truck, but long distance travel would be rough with 3 in the front, 3 in the back, most of them in car seats.
My question is this... How has it gone with your 3500? do you wish you had 4x4?
Would that improve my tow ratings at all (don't think so but thought I would ask).
6.6 is due out soon, worth going with something new just to achieve that?
We are looking at trailers that loaded down could get close to 9500 lbs... am I too close to the limit?
What are the must have upgrades that you would recommend for this setup?
Thanks a ton in advance for your feedback.... After selling our Class A Diesel Pusher, we are looking forward to getting back on the road.
Old September 14th, 2020, 11:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Carlos Portu
I've been reading this forum with interest.
We are a family of 6 (4 kiddos) and need something that can tow a travel trailer and the family comfortably. I have an F350 as my Daily Driver and wife has a Minivan. We are thinking about swapping the mini van for a conversion van capable of pulling the TT. I could do it with my truck, but long distance travel would be rough with 3 in the front, 3 in the back, most of them in car seats.
My question is this... How has it gone with your 3500? do you wish you had 4x4?
Would that improve my tow ratings at all (don't think so but thought I would ask).
6.6 is due out soon, worth going with something new just to achieve that?
We are looking at trailers that loaded down could get close to 9500 lbs... am I too close to the limit?
What are the must have upgrades that you would recommend for this setup?
Thanks a ton in advance for your feedback.... After selling our Class A Diesel Pusher, we are looking forward to getting back on the road.
Conversions lose quite a bit of available payload. That drastically limits the trailer size as gross combined weight is only 16,000#. As a non-conversion variant, a GM 1 ton van can tow well up to about 9000 lbs with it's Vortec 6.0/6-speed combo. My trailer's GVWR is 7600#...and I'm right at that "ready to go" camping. Any bigger and that engine will be working hard.

Remember, always use the GVWR of the trailer to gauge proper fitment. Also, pay no attention to "towing capacity" as it's worthless marketing fluff. Capability is decided by payload, GVWR, GCVWR, axle capacities, tire ratings, and wheelbase length. Again with these vans, the biggest limit is gross combined weights. You can't steal from Peter to pay Paul. .

Overall, the van is a great TV for my 35 ft trailer. Attached to my Hensley Arrow, the combo works flawlessly. The interior space is a godsend. Nothing else rivals it. We have an extended passenger version too. We upgraded to an agressice A/T tire which helps with traction. Also, made sure we got the G80 locker to get us out of any "sticky" situations. This is definitely recommended if getting the big 1 ton. I also added a Hellwig rear sway bar to help control body roll.

Quick Reply: Towing with GM 1 ton extended passenger van (Savana/Express)