Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Towing Trailering real world opinions

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2019, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Trailering real world opinions

Hello, I am looking for real world opinions on towing and trailering. If someone has similar equipment I would very much value their experience. General cargo trailering and towing thoughts would also be appreciated. I am considering purchasing a 7x16 by 7 feet high enclosed cargo trailer. The trailer’s GVWR is 7000lbs with a curb weight of about 2400lbs. It would be rare to have cargo which was even 4000lbs let alone equaled the difference. Mostly it would be used for occasionally in-city moves with common household appliances, furniture and goods. It would primarily be used for this light duty. A lot of the time it would be simply parked and used as storage, with jack stands on the corners.

I have a 2010 2500 with a 4.8L V8. I do not have the factory towing package. I have added a heavy duty Curt hitch and Tekonsha break controller. I tow utility trailers around all the time with no issues. I’m planning on adding extending mirrors and maybe a camera system for pulling the cargo trailer.

I’m looking for an idea of how this setup might operate?

Gas mileage is not a big concern, but a good basic performance is.

I’m also considering the same trailer with the exception of it being only 6 ½ feet high. They are both V-nose, so I’m not certain how much difference this would make?
I wouldn’t think 6 inches would matter, but the 7-footer sure seems to loom over the back of my van! 😊

Springs need beefing up?

Should I add a transmission cooler?

How about a weight distribution hitch?

Not planning any long trips but would like to have an inkling how it might perform on a decent road trip?

Best ways to secure it? tongue locks, wheels locks or maybe electrifying the frame?

Any other considerations I am overlooking?

Thoughts and ideas are valued!

Thanks 😊

A BigHorn 7x16x7high upgraded trailer.
Old May 29th, 2019, 9:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes to the tranny cooler.
If you had the trailer towing option it would have included one.
What is your van's towing capacity, curb weight and gross combined vehicle weight? That will tell you what you can haul depending on what is inside the van.....
I have a keyed locking bolt that holds my hitch in the receiver and a tongue lock on the ball hitch. I also keep a length of chain and a padlock to run into the wheel if I feel I need to when its not connected to the van. There are lots of security products out there....