Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Trans oil coolers are now eliminated on all new Express and Savana vans

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2021, 7:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trans oil coolers are now eliminated on all new Express and Savana vans

Came across this GMA news bulletin recently which confirms the loss of the transmission oil coolers in future production runs. Glad I have one as well as an additional cooler I installed in-line of the OEM. Temps have never exceeded 195, even in 90+ degree weather towing 7600lbs of trailer up a mountain grade. Don't know how the new vans' transmissions will hold up when taxed.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/05...on-oil-cooler/
Old May 28th, 2021, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

From the article...

Now, GM Authority has learned that both vans will no longer come equipped with an external transmission oil cooler.

To me, this indicates the secondary cooler that’s mounted in front of the condenser is what’s being removed, but the primary cooler (part of the radiator assembly) is still being used.

Old May 28th, 2021, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
From the article...

To me, this indicates the secondary cooler that’s mounted in front of the condenser is what’s being removed, but the primary cooler (part of the radiator assembly) is still being used.
My thoughts too. Unfortunately, any HD vehicle towing anything significant requires an auxillary trans cooler. I'm just glad my van has two.
Old May 29th, 2021, 9:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

The one in the radiator tank also serves as a heater, as the fluid has an operating temperature range.

Old June 1st, 2021, 10:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, they have to remove it as standard equipment so they can make it an option and charge you double...
Old June 1st, 2021, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
The one in the radiator tank also serves as a heater, as the fluid has an operating temperature range.
I don’t know about the vans for sure, but most of the late model trucks (since 2014/2015 models) I’ve been seeing have a thermal expansion valve where the cooler lines bolt on to the transmission. It doesn’t even open to allow cooler flow until the fluid reaches 180*F - 190*F, so while the vans without a valve would utilize the radiator as a heater and a cooler, the vehicles with a valve would only be utilizing it as a cooler.

The trucks that don’t have the expansion valve are equipped with the secondary cooler. I don’t know what the RPO code is, but when reading GM service information, they define the dual cooler set up as “HD cooling.”
Old June 1st, 2021, 12:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ironic ... I installed an aftermarket one for my 4L80 on my 2004 3500 last weekend

Old June 1st, 2021, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 670 Likes on 608 Posts

I think that's called coincidence, not irony.

But anyway, they're probably doing this to meet stricter fuel consumption laws. Same reason they started building bypass valves into water pumps.
Old June 1st, 2021, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 670 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
I’ve been seeing have a thermal expansion valve where the cooler lines bolt on to the transmission.
I thought thermal expansion valves were for systems where you have gas-liquid phase transitions. (like AC refrigerant). If a valve is simply actuated by temperature then isn't that just a thermostat? (like the coolant loop)
Old June 3rd, 2021, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I thought thermal expansion valves were for systems where you have gas-liquid phase transitions. (like AC refrigerant). If a valve is simply actuated by temperature then isn't that just a thermostat? (like the coolant loop)
That’s technically accurate, I just tend to think of them in the same terms, because the cooler line thermostat operation is very similar to an expansion valve.

An expansion valve creates a reduction in pressure and allows expansion of the refrigerant to occur - since pressure and temperature are directly proportional, as the pressure drops, so does the temperature. The diaphragm in the TXV reacts to the change in temperature and the size of the orifice increases and decreases accordingly.

The cooler line thermostat doesn’t change the pressure but it regulates flow through the cooler based on changes in temperature, so the valve inside the thermostat is also opening and closing in the same way as a TXV.

I replace the cooler lines with the thermostat on them quite a bit - next time I do, I’ll try to remember to save the valve and take some pictures - the design (internal and external) of the thermostat and block type TXV are very similar.

Quick Reply: Trans oil coolers are now eliminated on all new Express and Savana vans