Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Trans oil coolers are now eliminated on all new Express and Savana vans

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2021, 8:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I drilled and used holes already on the ABS/plastic radiator support and attched the cooler there with 2 short 1/4 bolts and lock washers.
In the picture we barely see the head of the two bolts used on the left side of the cooler. But once installed I felt it was solid enought.
One can run a bracket from top to bottom to secure the right side of the cooler if needed.

Last edited by pomerlo; October 26th, 2021 at 8:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Aggie (October 26th, 2021)
Old October 26th, 2021, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great - thanks for the prompt response. I thought that was probably how you did it, but wasn't sure if there was some additional support.
Old October 26th, 2021, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Apologies for the multiple questions, but do you remember if this is the cooler you installed:
Amazon Amazon

I've measured and it looks like it should fit fairly well. I think I'll also get the snap in adapter for the radiator fitting:
Amazon Amazon

From what I can tell, getting the grille off may be the hardest part. But after taking the dash apart to install a new radio, I'm hoping the grille will be easier by comparison. Thanks again for your previous response on mounting technique.
Old October 26th, 2021, 12:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Glad to help

I installed the Hayden 678 that is 2 inches wider than the 679
I used this adapter : https://agscompany.com/product/trans...ose-1-per-bag/
Fits perfectly in the radiator quick connect adapter. But yours should work as well.
At the metal line (the one goes back to tranny) I put the rubber hose directly on the metal pipe once removed from the radiator quick connect adapter. Fit snug but managed to push it on. Put some lubricant.
Also before intstalling the rubber hose to this metal pipe remove the plastic protective cap(the one that snap over the quick connector) in order to use with the adapter you want to buy.
Be careful when removing the retainer c-clip from the quick connect adapter.. these small things fly off easily. see
Put the c-clip back before inserting the adapter. You should ear a click when inserting.
I have routed the bottom output of the radiator to the cooler than from the cooler to the tranny return line.
Finally use couples of tie wrap to secure the rubber hose here and there and make sure they dont rub against sharp edge.
Overall is an easy job to do. Getting the front grill off is quite simple also. search Youtube for detailed instructions.

Good luck

Last edited by pomerlo; October 26th, 2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old October 26th, 2021, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the very detailed writeup and tips. I've cussed those retainer clips before so will be extra careful getting it off. I could be wrong, but it looks like the 679 is 2 1/8" bigger than the 678 per the Hayden website ( https://www.haydenauto.com/media/547...dual-pages.pdf ). Probably doesn't make much difference either way, and anything is better than what I've got now (no external cooler).
Old October 26th, 2021, 1:11 PM
CF Junior Member

My bad ... I looked a the wrong spec .. your right the 679 is 2 inches higher than the 678. But from the picture I posted above we can see there is certainly enought room
for the extra inches.
Old October 26th, 2021, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, your picture is very helpful in getting a perspective on how these coolers fit with respect to other parts. I definitely like the 90 degree adapter you used and have already ordered it. It should prevent having to make a 90 degree turn with the rubber hose at the radiator. After looking through the Hayden catalog I'm also considering the 698 (same size as 679) which has an internal thermostat and a bypass channel until the fluid gets up to temp. Probably not a big deal here in Texas where it's rarely very cold, but it seems like a nice feature to have and doesn't cost that much more. The 698 doesn't come with the mounting kit but wasn't planning on using much from it anyway.

Amazon Amazon
Old October 26th, 2021, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah exactly what I tought when I saw this elbow like adapter, No kink in the hose and less strenght on the adapter at the radiator. And glad I did.

I have also considered using one with a bypass. Being up here in Canada where the temp rarely goes above the freezing point during winter.
But since this is a class B motorhome that always goes in storage and not used during winter months I finally chose one with no bypass.
And your right,,,, a bypass is probably irrelevant in Texas. This is to prevent that freezing/sluggish oil being circulated in your tranny for the few minutes it takes for the radiator to warm it up.

I used about nothing that came in the mounting kit. Except the hose clamp and the hose itself.
However if the cooler doesn't come with a hose make sure you use a high pressure hose made for tranny oil.

Ohhh about removing the front grill see
pretty starightforward.
Old October 26th, 2021, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the grille video. Assuming no clips are broken (famous last words) it looks pretty straightforward. It certainly looks easier than the dash panel - not breaking the thin plastic part that goes between the steering wheel/shift lever and instrument panel was a challenge.
Old October 26th, 2021, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 670 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I know this thread is a few months old, but can you clarify how you secured the cooler?
Many coolers come with brackets you can use. I'm sure plumber's strap would work equally well.

I see other manufacturers are omitting transmission coolers as well recently. Like Toyota on their Tacoma/Tundra. They claim the 8 speed automatic transmissions don't slip as much and run cooler.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; April 11th, 2024 at 1:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans oil coolers are now eliminated on all new Express and Savana vans