Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission leak under acceleration ?

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2021, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission leak under acceleration ?

2014 Express 1500 AWD, 54k miles.

Recently took 3000 mile road trip and noticed in the mountains (and desert heat mountains), that when it down shifted there was a bunch of white smoke.
(did have dealer do 50K transmission maintenance before trip)

Very concerning.

Pulled over immediately.

Sure enough, there is transmission fluid, that somehow, from somewhere, sprayed out of the right side (passenger), by the two pipes that come out, and it then of course hits the exhaust and created smoke.

Transmission fluid was a little low, (added about 1/2 quart to get to full on the hot mark), did not smell burnt, maybe a slight touch, but not excessive (I've burned up a transmission before and know what that looks and smells like).

So took it easy in the mountains, slowed down, didn't try and do the speed limit of 75 or 80, avoided hard down shifts while climbing.

Van traveled remaining 3 days, and 1000 miles, with no noticeable smoke or issues. (checked fluid every 200 miles) and did not lose a drop more.

I'm taking to dealer tomorrow to review.

But somethings not right, even though it was hot and hard running, when it downshifted, no way i should have seen fluid somehow spray out ?
(or is it possible there is some overflow , high pressure port and i was pushing her too hard in the mountains ?)

Curious what fellow van enthusiasts think ?

This is my goto vehicle and i travel a few times a year from KC to Virginia Beach, to South Carolina, to Sand Diego and never seen this before, so a bit concerned, as i want the reliability to know i can take a long trip anytime with no worries.

Thoughts ?
Dave
Old September 16th, 2021, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

sprayed out of where exactly?

the connection itself? A hole in the cooler line? Did you do anything with the tranny recently?

It would help if you shared with us which engine/tranny you have.