Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission rattle. 2006 Express 6.0ltr

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2018, 6:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission rattle. 2006 Express 6.0ltr

The Express I have has a noisy mechanical rattle from the mid part of the transmission, forward of the pan. It rattles on tickover when in Park or Neutral. In gear and when the truck moves, the noise goes away. Photo below, anyone any ideas what this rattle could be? Also, where would I find the info that would give me the model number/type? It's a 4 speed auto

Last edited by Karlos Fandango; August 20th, 2018 at 8:52 AM. Reason: Additional question
Old August 20th, 2018, 10:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlos Fandango
Also, where would I find the info that would give me the model number/type? It's a 4 speed auto
Going back to the VIN Decoder, go to the Tech Specs, scroll down to the Transmission Order Code, it will probably be M30, which is a 4L60E. I highly recommend you getting a commercial VIN Decoder from compnine.com. It costs $5 for a complete build sheet with original build information for that VIN, 2 or 3 pages, and can decode five vehicles for that $5.

Old August 20th, 2018, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the build spec advice Twscarp I shall give them a shot to get the spec. When I highlight over my VIN spec on GMPartsGiant.com, it comes up with 4-speed autmatic transmission, THM-R2(4L80-E) I'm guessing this might be a variant of the model you suggested?
No ideas on the rattle from the cetral part of the 'box though?
Old August 20th, 2018, 8:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

The only parts forward of the pan are the torque converter and flywheel. My bell housing has two inspection ports, which are good places to shine a light and see what's going on. Failing that, you're probably looking at dropping the tranny.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Joe, I will serch out the inspection hatches
Old August 22nd, 2018, 9:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would start with a tranny service, inspection and road test at a good tranny shop.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 9:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does look like the transmission has a break and something going on at the top of your picture you posted
Thank you
Ken