Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Trouble installing alternator

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2019, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble installing alternator

I had my alternator start to fail while on a long drive yesterday. (The voltage while the van was running was slowing dropping, but went back to 12V once the van was shut off)

I’m in the process of installing the new one, but can’t get the thing to slide into place! Removing the original alternator required a decent amount of force from a crow bar, but now I’m having trouble replicating that force in the opposite direction. The problem seems to come from these two small metal spacers that fit into the bolt holes on the engine’s accessory mounting bracket. The spacers leave no spare room for the alternator to slide back into place. I’ve tried banging it back into place with a hammer and block of wood, and it started sliding into place, but I just can’t get it all the way in because I’m hitting it at bad angle because of the lack of room under the hood.

Any suggestions?
Old November 3rd, 2019, 5:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by IsaacK
I had my alternator start to fail while on a long drive yesterday. (The voltage while the van was running was slowing dropping, but went back to 12V once the van was shut off)

I’m in the process of installing the new one, but can’t get the thing to slide into place! Removing the original alternator required a decent amount of force from a crow bar, but now I’m having trouble replicating that force in the opposite direction. The problem seems to come from these two small metal spacers that fit into the bolt holes on the engine’s accessory mounting bracket. The spacers leave no spare room for the alternator to slide back into place. I’ve tried banging it back into place with a hammer and block of wood, and it started sliding into place, but I just can’t get it all the way in because I’m hitting it at bad angle because of the lack of room under the hood.

Any suggestions?
Hit the spacers with some penetrating oil, wait for awhile then use a puller to back them out a bit. The alternator should be able to be put into place then. You will have to be careful as those brackets are aluminum alloy but the spacers are steel.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Awesome, thanks so much for the suggestion.

I managed to get the alternator back in by using some 2x4 as a spacer against the top of the engine compartment and prying it back in carefully with a crowbar.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (November 4th, 2019)
Old November 3rd, 2019, 7:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

As Henry mentioned, you need to push out the spring pins prior to installation
I used a C-clamp and a large socket. When you tighten up the bolts, it will squeeze them back into place.
Taking off the dog house an help with making the connections at the back.
Old November 4th, 2019, 6:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Yep, C clamp to push the bushings out from the inside of the bracket.
Old November 10th, 2019, 10:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get drunk and cuss at it.
steven windsor (November 17th, 2019)
Old November 17th, 2019, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stubborn spacers

I put a socket on the outside and run a bolt Through it with a nut on the inside and tighten the nut it will push the spacer and give you more space.