Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

TV Wiring 2006 Explorer Conversion VAN

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2018 | 12:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Default TV Wiring 2006 Explorer Conversion VAN

Hello everybody,
I have a question about the cabling of the TV in the VAN. You can turn on the TV only when ignition is active and I would like to provide this with continuous power, instead of ignition.
How can I remove the Plate holding the TV to connect to the wiring? And is there perhaps already plus?
Greetings from Germany
Old November 12th, 2018 | 7:56 PM
CF Junior Member

first off is your van a high top explorer......because judging by the pictures i could find on line it looks like the left and right upper trim blocks the the face plate of the TV....you maybe able to remove a side speaker and gain access to the tv wiring...once you find the wiring you may be able to figure the colors used then tap into that circuit and connect it to a hot when the van is off.....the problem you will have is the TV draining the battery if you leave the TV on too long with the van not running....
Old November 13th, 2018 | 12:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Sorry, forgot to mention that, yes, it's a high-top. Is there no way to take the whole plate? What do you do if the TV is broken? Then it has to get down, somehow ...
That the TV can drain the battery, I am aware, but still so intentionally.
There will be a second battery installed (parallel) and there is always a battery charger connected, so I'm not worried that the VAN will not start up.
Old November 13th, 2018 | 9:40 AM
CF Veteran

Pictures might be helpful.

And regarding a second battery, it should be isolated or the TV will just draw down both batteries.
Old November 13th, 2018 | 7:07 PM
CF Junior Member

i worked on explorer model vans in the early 2000's....they dont design them to be repaired just to assemble as fast as possible......to take the plate down you may have to remove both side upper walls...they are assembled with drywall screws into the reinforcements of the van walls....it can be done ...but if you dont have any experience working on cars i would let an upholstery place do it....
Old November 14th, 2018 | 12:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello everybody ...
here are 2 pictures of the VAN.
So you mean that you have to remove the side panels in order to be able to remove the TV plate at the end? That would be crap.
I really only need to connect a cable to the HDMI port and put the TV on the second battery. I have written to Explorer if they can email me wiring diagrams, but so far no answer.
But I also have the impression that Explorer has not really worked there with love, it really only had to go fast.
Otherwise, I can not explain the processing, even if I am European and anyway used to a another standard ..
greets

Old November 14th, 2018 | 8:59 AM
CF Veteran

Those "buttons" directly below the speakers should be screw covers. They should pop off to expose screws.
Old November 19th, 2018 | 12:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello ...
I had some time at the weekend to deal with it. Unfortunately, the buttons are not removable and do not seem to hide any screws. Looking for opportunities to be able to look into the box, I then removed the speakers and could get a glimpse of the (sloppy) wiring.
To get to the HDMI port of the TV, you actually have to take out / dismantle the whole box.
Unfortunately, I have not received a reply from Explorer asking for wiring diagrams

So unfortunately everything was very sobering .
Old November 19th, 2018 | 7:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Fancy looking van, it looks really nice inside. My only idea is to break the TV and put a nicer one in. It would be a real shame to ruin the upholstery. Wish I could help. Good luck
Old November 30th, 2018 | 12:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello everybody...
not to expand the whole TV, I would like to know where the cables to the TV run high.
I have a second battery lying here and want to put the power supply of TV and TV-Speakers on the second battery. I heard the cables on the left behind the driver's seat go up, is that right? And if so, where do they come out in the dashboard?

Quick Reply: TV Wiring 2006 Explorer Conversion VAN