Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Type of floor: 1996 Express 2500

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2019, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type of floor: 1996 Express 2500

My dad and I, we have a van, and are trying to install a seat. But we need to determine the type of material used for the flooring. I figure it's stainless steel, however, my dad wants to be sure. We need to drill into the steel to attach bolts into the seat right into the work van. But, we don't have the right drill bits yet, but we don't want to buy the wrong ones. Any advice?
Old July 30th, 2019, 2:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

It's ordinary sheet steel. THIN metal.

Which seat are you trying to install?

So far this sounds like a very suicidal idea.
Old July 30th, 2019, 3:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From removing the old folding bench/bed in the back of my van, it did have u-bolts holding the frame down. These bolts however run all the way down through the frame rail. Attaching a seat to just the floor material, agreed, suicidal. Drilling through the frame is also not recommended for structural reasons. Don't know how the newer models are secured.
Old July 30th, 2019, 5:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would think you should in the least be installing thick plates underneath the flooring to anchor the seat into. If you do not even understand the differences between stainless steel and regular steel then... perhaps installing a non-factory seat setup is a bad a idea all around.
Old July 30th, 2019, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a small seat we got from the pick and pull, fits about 2 people. K, so don't just drill into the material. Get some thick plates for underneath the flooring to anchor. Thanks guys, unfortunately my dad is not backing out of this idea. So I'm in it for the long haul.
Old July 30th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

OK so it's a 2nd row bench?

You can look at how the driver's seat is mounted. The area around the bolts will be reinforced.

I don't know if you have state inspections where you live, but that might be something to consider.
Old July 30th, 2019, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A 2 or 3 inch angle iron underneath should be plenty to hold in that seat.