Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

understanding the trans and rear end on my 2017?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2018, 12:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

very good to hear greenfire

actually a few days ago i got down what turned out to be a dead end road with my 25 foot travel trailer behind me

had to pull the van down a pretty steep slope that was under construction and looked like it had some deep sand land down over it

the ground was loose and the deep sand
the van backed my 7500 lb trailer out of there and just barely slipped once, i was pretty surprised
thought there was a decent chance i was going to get stuck

sure the traction did something there because it was a lot of weight to move backward off that slick ground
Old August 24th, 2018, 2:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Expresscv... any word on dealer installed TruTrac?

Like you, I was stressed about the G80 vs non-G80 rear end (since AWD was not an option). I almost bought a new van just to have it, but we found a used Express 3500 6.0L with custom seats (except no G80) and bought it instead. Our Express tows our 7000-7500 lb travel trailer without a problem, but I'm still curious about adding a TruTrac (or similar locker) on the rear end. I mostly want it for a little sense of security (even if only a placebo) for when we are far from home with the TT and need that extra bit of grip. The biggest problem is figuring out which one fits the Express/Savana. It's a mystery to research online because GM seems to slap whatever rear-end they have laying around on these vans. I still need to confirm what I actually have on mine, then I can look into what I need.

Last edited by GatorHawk24; August 24th, 2018 at 2:51 PM.
Old August 24th, 2018, 7:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I too, would like to hear of his progress, but few report back in after posting here.

Your best bet in finding out what you have is to take your VIN to a dealer. The VIN decoder at the top of the page (under "tools") won't go in to enough detail. As for a locker, I've chosen the Powertrax No Slip. It seems to be not too hard core, and purports to be "quieter" than other ratcheting lockers. As soon as I have the cash, it'll be a done deal.
Old August 26th, 2018, 12:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hey gator

have not done anything on the van at all, it has been sitting most of the summer with the travel trailer
probably have not driven it 500 miles all summer

if i decide to do anything on that will definitely post and let people know, but right now other car issues have come up and it is way down the list

will be interested to hear if you or stanvan do anything with yours and how happy you are on it

when i looked into lockers for my ford truck a couple of years ago trutrac and arb were the only options for that rear end
but i wanted to do an electric locker, wonder if that would be available for this van.....
Old August 29th, 2018, 2:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like we are all in the "wait and see" stage of purchasing something for the rear end. I don't really have a reason to change anything right now, but the first time I get into a slippery situation and wish I had both rear wheels digging in, I will be making the modification. In the mean time I will do my research and figure out what I like best. So far, I like the Detroit/Eaton TruTrac. I looked at the Powertrax No Slip, but they only show up to 2014 vans... so, either something changed and they don't have it for the 2016, or like most things, it fits and the year is irrelevant.
Old August 29th, 2018, 4:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The trick in getting the right locker, regardless of brand, is knowing which differential you have. In the 2016 3500, there are two diffs available, and one of them can have the G80, limited slip option. The best way to find out what you have, is to take your VIN to a dealer and have them decode it. Online decoders don't give enough detail. I found out what I have, and the correct No-Slip that fits.