Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Van dies once warm

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2022, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van dies once warm

Hey guys, new here so some quick backstory. I bought my van last February to convert it into a camper. It's a 1993 Chevy G20 5.7L V8. For the most part, it hasn't had a lot of issues; replaced a lot to do with the suspension being so old, but the engine has worked great. Until recently, I went to start it, and it fired up, but after letting it warm for about 5 mins, it would sound like it revving up yet no RPM on the gauge going up. Then it would start to struggle and sputter and die.

We got it restarted and fired up, but it died within 30 seconds. Left it for an hour or so, and it fired up again, but again after a few minutes, it would die.
I put gas in it at half a tank. I did the fuel pump back in winter, and I can hear it turning.

Ive read other vehicles with similar issues around the same year, one guy found the pigtails at his ICM were to blame. Another guy replaced a couple parts with the distributor and a wire and it fixed the issue. IM HOPING that's it, but I have no idea what I'm looking for, I've identified the ICM as far as I can tell, Ive looked at the wires and they look okay. What else do I look at? Can anyone give me some advice or tips or maybe you've dealt with this before.

Thanks in advance!
Old September 3rd, 2022, 10:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

No codes?

Did you change the filter with the pump?

Did you buy a cheap pump or a good Delco or similar?

Will probably have to check sensors one at a time. If you can find one in a junkyard and just pull everything, you can swap one out at a time to try to rule them out.
Old September 4th, 2022, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did not change the filter but it shouldn't be an issue, its getting gas, can smell it. It starts but once it warms up it dies, I can hit the gas to rev it up which keeps it alive a bit but once I stop it dies.
New pump is Delco as far as I can remember, didn't go cheap, and I can hear it work.

Thing is I have read others with this issue found the crank position sensor the problem. Except I cant find one ANYWHERE. And replacing it from an auto wrecker seems counter productive, how long till that one malfunctions if it works at all. Only thing I can find is a wire that's labeled crank position sensor connector, might have to start there.
Old September 7th, 2022, 10:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Used one would tell you if it's the problem or not.

New ones exist, I was able to find them. 5.7 TBI sensor is going to be a 5.7 TBI sensor, looks like 94-up is different, but it doesn't matter if they say it's for a van, a pickup, or a Caprice.