Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Van Registration Question

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2012, 5:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hsboatwright
just my 2 cents but from what i heard once windows and seats are added to a van its considered a wagon. and that's why you can get PAS registartion
This has to be it, because all of these guys are cutting opera windows or vent windows into the body of the cargo van and they are running with passenger plates. Also like I said there is no church in New York City that has a van with commercial plates, not one. My G20 is listed as a SUBN which is a wagon on the registration, even the Suburban is listed as a SUBN. When I had the Mercury Colony Park station wagon that too was listed as a SUBN on the registration.
Old June 11th, 2012, 8:24 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by hsboatwright
just my 2 cents but from what i heard once windows and seats are added to a van its considered a wagon. and that's why you can get PAS registartion
In NY, that's the definition of a "Conversion Van". This also gets PAS plates and is classified as a SUBN in the "body/hull" catagory.
This does not stop cops from writing tickets on them, especially if there's racking in the back of the van.
It states on the DMV website in bold letters, "The registration class does not depend on how you use the vehicle." Only how it is constructed or modified.
The case was adjourned so the cop could go back to the precinct to get his secret vehicle codes to show the prosecutor to back up his tickets.
A 12 year old could access the laws on a smart phone, but a building full of lawyers can't confirm the codes I printed off the internet.
It's all a cash cow game.
Traffic court is a cash register for the county to make as much money as they can, any way they can.
It seems in Nassau county, all moving violation fines go to the State and non moving fines go to the county. You hear case after case where the prosecutors are willing to knock down these moving violations ( and the elimination of points on your liscense) to a "broken tail light" and the fine.
Most people take the deal.
Well the case is scheduled for 6/14. I can't wait to see the secret laws the cop will bring.

Last edited by Ron6519; June 11th, 2012 at 8:29 AM.
Old June 11th, 2012, 5:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ron6519
In NY, that's the definition of a "Conversion Van". This also gets PAS plates and is classified as a SUBN in the "body/hull" catagory.
This does not stop cops from writing tickets on them, especially if there's racking in the back of the van.
It states on the DMV website in bold letters, "The registration class does not depend on how you use the vehicle." Only how it is constructed or modified.
The case was adjourned so the cop could go back to the precinct to get his secret vehicle codes to show the prosecutor to back up his tickets.
A 12 year old could access the laws on a smart phone, but a building full of lawyers can't confirm the codes I printed off the internet.
It's all a cash cow game.
Traffic court is a cash register for the county to make as much money as they can, any way they can.

It seems in Nassau county, all moving violation fines go to the State and non moving fines go to the county. You hear case after case where the prosecutors are willing to knock down these moving violations ( and the elimination of points on your liscense) to a "broken tail light" and the fine.
Most people take the deal.
Well the case is scheduled for 6/14. I can't wait to see the secret laws the cop will bring.
No, downstate, in NYC and LI, the state and the municipality split the fine and the surcharge 50/50. Upstate the entire fine goes to the municipality(which is why towns write so many bogus tickets) which is why they put that bull**** DMV Surcharge on the ticket. WHICH MAY I ADD IS NOT LEGAL. THERE IS NOTHING IN NEW YORK STATE VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC LAW WHICH MANDATES YOU PAY A DMV SURCHARGE. The surcharge is ONLY legal in the event you are convicted of a DUI/DWI/DWAI offense. Not for regular infractions. THIS IS WHY IS IT A ASSESSED BY THE DMV BECAUSE IT IS AN AGENCY RULE AND NOT A STATE LAW.

The town prosecutor wants to knock them down because if too many go to trial then the town loses money, remember they are paying these judges like $100K(to be available throughout the entire county), then there is the clerks and all those people who work for the town when the court is in session. They are obligated to knock these tickets out in less than 12 months but if everyone took a court date then the court calender gets too long and you can get a dismissal for lack of a speedy trial and the cops forget, lose notebook, or dont show up. These guys gotta get their money as soon as possible. If you go to trial and win because the cop doesnt show up or the judge cant see his point of view and/or sees yours, then the county or town gets nothing. Cant pay people with thin air.

Last edited by RacerX; June 11th, 2012 at 6:02 PM.
Old June 12th, 2012, 8:03 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
This has to be it, because all of these guys are cutting opera windows or vent windows into the body of the cargo van and they are running with passenger plates. Also like I said there is no church in New York City that has a van with commercial plates, not one. My G20 is listed as a SUBN which is a wagon on the registration, even the Suburban is listed as a SUBN. When I had the Mercury Colony Park station wagon that too was listed as a SUBN on the registration.
There are 13 Body Type Codes that have a SUBN listing
Bus
Camper
Carryall
Conversion Van
Jeep
Microbus
Multipurpose vehicle
Sport Utility
Station Bus
Station Wagon
Surburban
Travelall
and
Wagon
What's hard to find is definitions of them all. Some are obviously not what I have, but others, like, Multipurpose Vehicle, Carryall, Travelall I can't find.
Nassau County has imposed a $15.00 fee on all tickets that are not in the "not guilty" category. This is a county law passed a few years ago. Is it legal? Who's going to hire a lawyer and fight it?
Old June 12th, 2012, 1:13 PM
CF Veteran

if it aint codified in the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law then it aint legal. Only the state can assess fines, penalties for motor vehicle infractions. How are they going to penalize someone for pleading not guilty?
Old June 26th, 2012, 4:03 PM
CF Active Member

Just an update.
The cop who was going to his precinct to find the hidden statute, didn't show up at trail and both tickets were dismissed and no administrative fee was paid.
Ron
Old June 26th, 2012, 7:21 PM
CF Veteran

kudos!