Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What year range 350 motor compatible with 05 3500?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2022, 5:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by og52
Check your state's emission laws. Some require an exact replacement.
We don't have emissions here.

I did not know gm replaced the 350 with the LS 5.3 (or something). I found a number of LS 5.3 complete motors at my local bone yard, 00, 01, and 02. I hope\assume these are similar enough to an 05
Old July 2nd, 2022, 5:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundrawolf
We don't have emissions here.

I did not know gm replaced the 350 with the LS 5.3 (or something). I found a number of LS 5.3 complete motors at my local bone yard, 00, 01, and 02. I hope\assume these are similar enough to an 05
Be sure to check the block id numbers and make sure the engine you buy came out of a truck. GM used to make different bolt patterns for their car engines than they did their trucks.
Old July 2nd, 2022, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoadTrip
Be sure to check the block id numbers and make sure the engine you buy came out of a truck. GM used to make different bolt patterns for their car engines than they did their trucks.
If it helps, all the LS engines I saw were in trucks or SUVs... I plan on pulling the harness, etc with it, even the exhaust... The vans electrical system is basically a total loss as they cut so many wires, a transplant is a better idea imo
Old July 2nd, 2022, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by og52
Check your state's emission laws. Some require an exact replacement.
emissions laws are federal, not state
Old July 3rd, 2022, 4:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Not according to the epa, and varies by state:

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...ous-withdrawal

Also my location does not conduct any form of epa inspection, smog testing, etc. This is why he said "local" smog rules. When I lived in California, smog laws were so strict people literally had to sometimes abandon their vehicles if it cost too much to make them "compliant" with California's strict smog rules. Speaking with a smog shop owner in orange county, he said a significant number of brand new off the lot vehicles even failed the smog test for various reasons, sometimes costing the vehicle owners thousands of dollars and weeks of time before they could even use their brand new vehicles. Lemon laws have helped this but it doesn't repay owners for the time lost. Where I live presently, due to the county being so small and it being a heavy agricultural area, they couldn't care less, and there is zero enforced standard. There is zero barrier for registration here and it is universally always unwise to involve bureaucracy when not implicitly necessary. But thanks for the tip
Old July 3rd, 2022, 4:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Federal sets the 49 state emissions standards. California sets their own. OG52 is telling the OP tto check with the state the vehicle is registered in to be sure their emissions testing, if any, won’t fail him due to a mismatch of vehicle and engine, such as California would do.

Here’s a link to the rules of CA:
https://m.smogtips.com/OnlineForumQu...-in-California
The following users liked this post:
og52 (July 3rd, 2022)
Old July 3rd, 2022, 5:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoadTrip
Federal sets the 49 state emissions standards. California sets their own. OG52 is telling the OP tto check with the state the vehicle is registered in to be sure their emissions testing, if any, won’t fail him due to a mismatch of vehicle and engine, such as California would do.

Here’s a link to the rules of CA:
https://m.smogtips.com/OnlineForumQu...-in-California
We have none here. But a good tip that would save money and time otherwise
Old July 3rd, 2022, 11:52 AM
Banned

I wonder what the fuel mileage difference would be between he 6.0 and 5.3, both with 4l80e transmissions, but with 3.08 differential gearing? I don't plan on towing anything, mostly just driving around with the utility bed, which weighs a bit more than the van shell... With all my tools and living things, water and collection tanks... it could weigh shy of a ton, however... Off roading I'll use low gear and not go crazy... But the motors are 40 cubic inches apart roughly, so is the difference that big I wonder? The only other thing is, I think I only saw 5.3l at the boneyard so maybe it's a moot point.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

I think you have bitten off a lot more than you can chew. I advise you to seriously consider selling this van for scrap before you flush too much money down the toilet.
The following users liked this post:
Derrick71 (July 5th, 2022)
Old July 3rd, 2022, 10:42 PM
CF Junior Member

I think you have bitten off a lot more than you can chew. I advise you to seriously consider selling this van for scrap before you flush too much money down the toilet.
LOL, I read this in my Dad’s voice.

Quick Reply: What year range 350 motor compatible with 05 3500?