Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Windshield Wipers - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2019, 10:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers - Any tips?

Mine were destroyed from the van being parked for so long. They are just shot. I almost cannot believe I made it through the Winter. The last snow/freeze just finished off any life they were clinging onto. I almost replaced them today, but then I didn't because.. I am stuck with a "jiffy-lube" selected for sales and profit. I generally research everything, or have deep preferences, but it's literally like someone wiped my slate clean. Nothing I knew exists upstairs. It feels that at times.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Brands, Models, Design and the reasons Why?

It's not the money, it's the QUALITY I am after. The money decision can wait until I purchase it.
Old April 19th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

I prefer the beam blade design. the mopar brand I buy from work are good. Scotty kilmer has a web episode on the type he prefers.
Old April 19th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 659 Likes on 598 Posts

Scotty says he likes the silicone ones. Says they last longer.

I bought bosch last time thinking they would would be good, but they streak.
Old April 19th, 2019, 11:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by tech2
I prefer the beam blade design. the mopar brand I buy from work are good. Scotty kilmer has a web episode on the type he prefers.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 2:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Scotty says he likes the silicone ones. Says they last longer.

I bought bosch last time thinking they would would be good, but they streak.
I got talked into the Bosch from a guy at Advanced Auto and have been pretty satisfied.I do not recall what model I purchased but they are not cheap. If I can get 6 months out of a set I'm happy.
https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/wiper-blades
Old May 3rd, 2019, 8:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had good service using Trico blades. Had the beam type once. Didn't seem to last long.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:22 PM
CF Pro Member

I would have never of thought there would be so many blades, from one manufacturer let alone of them. Thank you for your replies, I started searching settling on Silicone, learning the difference between Beam and Conventional. Beam makes more sense in the snow when you have the bad habit of occasionally having them on while the windshield is still packed with inches of white. Reading the reviews made me see some unforeseen problems, like not fully contacting the windshield, etc. From the link above, the Hybrid seem interesting. I can order them right now, I just have to find a Credit Card. I might just check the local Auto Parts store. I almost did that today until I realised that I'd likely walk in there and buy whatever because the specs were not fresh in mind. My city here is growing so fast all the non factory parts suppliers that I have ever known are simply gone, except for the one I drove by. I probably have not been in there for over twenty five years.

I washed the truck several days ago and pulled the loose dangling rubber off the current wipers. At least they somewhat wipe now. I have just choose a set and buy them. I suppose there is no "Perfect" best set.
Old May 4th, 2019, 5:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 659 Likes on 598 Posts

Please let us know what you end up getting and how they do.
Old May 24th, 2019, 9:21 PM
CF Pro Member

I bought the most expensive PIAA silicone blade wipers. They look a lot smaller but they are the specified length. It's not really the weather to test them, but I am sure glad I have wipers again. I might update this exact post later with the details. The drivers side, I could have perhaps went one inch longer. The passenger side is maxed out at the factory length. At the bottom of the windshield, on the passenger side, that wiper doesn't quite make contact. I lose about four square inches of windshield that would normally get wiped. The curve in the glass is too strong for the lack of tension to force the blade to make contact. If these blades wipe really nice then I do not care. I can live with it.

I am still getting over another bad week. I am trying to collect money and I am being paid in installments, this jobs I just broke down billed too low anyways. To just get it done with. The police were here. I swear, everyone one wants to kill me. They want me dead. This world is insane.

On positive note, I finally ordered the three missing bolts for my battery holders which I would have began installing if I wasn't strung out and hosed on jobs. I seriously do not know how long I am going to live for. They literally want to put a dagger right through my heart.
Old May 24th, 2019, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The metal ones with the rivets freeze up and dont follow the contour of the windshield. Major pain. I use the one pc flexible style ones.....