Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Wiring Harness for 7 pin plug

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2013, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Harness for 7 pin plug

I just purchased my van, a 2013 Chevy Express 3500 LT passenger van, used with plans to tow a small travel trailer. I have the build list and I do not see the towing harness (UY7) listed. I called my local Chevy dealer and based on the the vin # they tell me I need to order part number 12498307 but they did not have it in stock. I was also advised that the wiring for the brake controller was tucked up in a bundle under the driver's side dash. Try as I might I can't find it.

Re: the 7 pin plug, I checked several GM parts stores and after inputing my VIN, it returns the same part. says it will fit my van but in the parts description is a notation that the UY7 wiring is required. I called two of the on line stores and sent an e-mail to the third to verify. Two phone calls say the part will work, the e-mail response was that it wouldn't.

I called Chevy Customer Assistance, hoping since they actually built the vehicle, they would know. I might have not even bothered, they only deal with issues already covered in the owners manual and could only offer to call my local Chevy dealer for me.

I figure at this point someone here, who has already experienced something like this, might know for sure.

Here is a link to the part in question: 12498307 HARNESS P

One of my mechanic friends thought that the vans above the 2500 were wired to accept that part without having to order the UY7 package option?

If this van does not have the UY7 option, I take it I will also not find the wiring bundle I need for the brake controller tucked up under the dash?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Last edited by Tiggs; December 3rd, 2013 at 6:41 PM.
Old December 4th, 2013, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the van is wired for a trailer hookup, the wiring to the trailer connector will be on the driver's side frame rail with the wiring tucked into the last frame opening. Looking at the factory trailer plug picture it appears to be a generic rig so you might as well save the bucks and buy an aftermarket setup. If there's no wiring - double check the parts for your years with etrailer, but a combination of Curt 55540 (vehicle specific) and TowRoad 30717 (generic) should fix you up for less than $50. Just drill a hole (hole saw) left of the license plate for the trailer connector. I ran the wires up the body to the driver's side taillight and then entered the body for the hookups using a couple of clips to secure the wires, but you could go through the door weatherstripping. This will give you all functions but 12v power and trailer brakes. That's a whole nother issue.
Old December 4th, 2013, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you DougE. I've verified that I do not have wiring tucked into the frame rail and reverified that I don't have the brake controller prewired either. I've spoken to the guys at e-trailer last evening and they recommended the 4 pin plug kit that will carry the 4 pin wiring down from the back of the van and then use the universal wiring kit/brake controller that will finish the 7 pin plug installation. I don't think I'll have any problem at all with the 4 pin plug portion but the brake controller portion does have me a wee bit worried. I did see someone recently posted info on how to install the brake controller so I've printed that out. I hope, if I run into a bind, I can ask questions here.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.