Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

Engine swap PCM/ECM question

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2019, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap PCM/ECM question

New to forum, any forum, although i do alot of reading, never do any posting. Upon reading quite a few postings it appears i am one of the fortunate ones who have never had any problems with AFM lifters. I have 2011 Silverado with 5.3 cast block, aluminum heads, 300,000 miles. Changed oil religiously at 3500 miles. I have had no complaints except the oil sending unit replacement, not the easiest to get to. It just recently started smoking, white smoke, on start up. I decided the best route for me was to purchase a salvage motor and transmission, both came out of same truck and has less than 90,000 miles. I did not get the PCM/ECM with the "new" motor or transmission and was wondering if i should have or will the current one work? Thanks for the advice and your input
Old March 17th, 2019, 1:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Should be the same, same engine.
Old March 17th, 2019, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thats what i was thinking. I can rebuild, and have rebuilt all the older motors but wasnt sure if i was going to have the PCM/ECM reflashed or if it would be plug and go.
Old March 17th, 2019, 3:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You could have it re flashed, but to which one, you have to have it re-flashed to your vin. I'd (if me) go with what I have, then if there is an issue, go from there.
Old March 17th, 2019, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Good point. Thanks for the replies