Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

05 equinox lower ball joint

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2019, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 equinox lower ball joint

When I stop and then go again it clunks back like something is moving back and forth. I cannot figure out whats doing it! Any ideas?? Does ball joint look bent?
Old August 16th, 2019, 3:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There's no way to tell by looking at it generally. It's a ball socket so the way it looks in that photo is normal.

You'd need to place it on a jack stand and see if there's movement. Even then, it's hard to tell if the ball joint is bad. Only when you pop off the knuckle and move it around can you really tell for sure.
Old August 16th, 2019, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

?When I stop and then go again it clunks back like something is moving back and forth. I cannot figure out whats doing it! Any idea what could be causing that, motor mounts maybe?
Old August 16th, 2019, 4:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Could be motor mount. It it's bad, the torque of the engine on acceleration causes it to rotate. If the mount is bad, i'll over rotate causing a clunking sound.

If you hold the brake and give it gas while in drive, can you reproduce the clunk? If so, you can open the hood and have someone carefully watch the engine from the side of the car while you do the same. If the engine moves quite a bit, I'm willing to bet a mount is broken or the bolts loosened up.

If you can't reproduce the clunk, it could be a sway bar end link. They usually don't make sound unless you go over bumps though.