Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

05 silverado gauges, a/c, and radio are sporadic

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2015, 3:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 silverado gauges, a/c, and radio are sporadic

Hello, I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L engine In it. I was driving down the road and all gauges, radio, And a/c compressor stopped working and all of the dash warning lights came on. I thought it may be the two grounds. I.E. Battery ground cable and grounding strap from block to firewall. This wasn't the case. I'm assuming it's not the fuses because my problem is intermittent. But for giggles I pushed in all of my fuses to ensure proper contact. That did not work. I read online it may be the cluster so I disassembled the cluster and looked at all the solder points under a magnifying glass. I did not find any cracks, separation, or corrosion. The gauges, lights, a/c come in and out. Also, on two separate occasions over the past two days my truck cranked over and died a few times while starting but eventually fired over after five attempts which leads me to believe that it's an ignition switch issue. I've searched for a few hours online trying to figure this out. I really don't want to
Pay someone to fix my car. So I turned to your forum. Thank you in advance for anything you could help me with.
Old April 18th, 2015, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

My buddy has a 2006 3500 diesel and I put his instrument cluster in my truck this morning. His gauges are doing the same thing. Radio is on then off a/c is the same and the gauges are out except now my speedo and tach are stAying true. all of the warning lights are still in. Ignition problem???
Old April 20th, 2015, 4:12 AM
CF Beginner

Changed ignition switch. Rewet all solder joints on instrument cluster. Still the same.